CZ O/U guns?

jaughtman

Once a year or so, I get the chance to shoot smaller birds like quail and dove. I have been thinking of getting an 20 gauge O/U but due to the limited amount I hunt, don't want to spend 1K +. I see the various CZ O/U models for 500 - 800 (specifically the Mallard and Canvasback models). Anyone shoot or hunt with these often?

J

Several people have asked and not really gotten any helpful information. But here's a thread on a guy who has well over 30,000 shots on a canvasback.

http://shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=189338&start=2420

I to asked about two months ago and most of the info was get something quality and not turkish questionable guns that may break who knows when.

There were several that said they liked them but as I experienced in Milwaukee nobody seems to have one at any major sporting goods stores in the state but they're willing to order one.

I really wish there was more info on them from people buying, using, breaking, not breaking or just liking them.

Cz of course does warranty them for 5 years.

They are Hulgu ( I probably spelled that wrong) manufactured and sold and Warrantied by CZ for 5 years. I personally suspect this might improve quality and service since you have someone to contact when something goes wrong. Instead of being told something like well you bought a turkish gun.

I handled one which I believe was called a CZ woodcock deluxe that was a rental gun at a local gun range. They did say that they haven't had any problems with them but replace all rental guns every 2 years depending on original cost and wear. The quality of the one I saw was pretty good but they wanted $899 for it used and they had a Browning Citori 2014 model on the used rack for $999 and it went home with me.

Here's something better off the cz website that says it.

http://cz-usa.com/press-release/cz-...-side-by-side-and-overunder-line-of-shotguns/

CZ-USA is pleased to announce that they will be the exclusive importer for Huglu Shotguns. Beginning January 1st, 2005, CZ-USA will take over the sales, marketing, distribution, and warranty services for this complete line of high quality, competitively priced shotguns.

CZ-USA’s new line is manufactured in Turkey by Huglu, a company with a 75 year history of making shotguns. The old world quality and craftsmanship becomes apparent from the first time you pick up one of these firearms. Details that make the difference on these fine shotguns include quality Turkish walnut stocks, hand fit parts, excellent wood to metal fit, hand cut checkering, chrome lined barrels and tasteful hand engraving on all side by sides and over/under shotguns.

The CZ-USA/Huglu shotguns are covered under CZ-USA’s 5 year warranty.

And just for clarification, that name Huglu, is also their gun making region. There are other makers there that also make firearms. aKUS is one who made the S&W Elite Gold ( now the Dickinson sold by Cabelas). They also made the Kimber SxS, a true sidelock SxS. Both were very well done and sold at price points reflecting that.

My buddy bought a CZ O/U (forget which one exactly), but he is pleased with it. Beautiful looking guns; I think they represent good value for the money.

i shoot trap two times a week(25-30 shooters plus newbees) and there have been no cz,s show up yet. i wish some would to get first hand expearence with them. eastbank.

While we are at it.....

I see some used Traditions by Fausti in the LGS around here - usually for 600 or so - seem like a good bargain. Anyone everyone have one of those they can chime in on?

J

The Fausti sisters build guns to a HUGE variety of price points, and the quality corresponds to those price points... Low cost guns have lower quality and features; higher end ones have better quality and features.

(Higher end being $3500 +)

Last edited:
Yep. But if you are only going to pull the trigger 25 times a year on a gun, you might decide that you don't want to budget as much as you would if you were going to be pulling a trigger 25,000 times a year.

I've owned a CZ OU Woodcock Deluxe in 20 gauge for around 10 or 12 years now. When I bought it I was originally looking at the Beretta silver pigeon. The shop I bought from had both guns, both in 20 gauge and after handling and shouldering both for better than an hour I bought the CZ. It's a wonderful shotgun. I do a lot of pheasant, grouse, and woodcock hunting each fall and the CZ is always with me. They're built around a Huglo action and barrels which have proven to be very durable, a lot of other manufacturers use them in their own guns. Dehaan custom shotguns for one. I have no idea how many rounds I've fired through mine but many birds have fallen, and I shoot skeet with it each summer to get ready for bird season. I havent had any durability issues but if I were most any double gun smith with be very familiar with the receiver...as I said they're very popular. Wood to metal fit on mine is surprisingly nice...very high quality.

Just for clarification, DeHaan never made any guns, he had them made to his specs (nicer wood, etc.) and then he would go through them and do some finishing on rough spots, etc. Not sure what he is doing now that they stopped that relationship.

Back