CZ models

Seminole1986

OK, I've decided to pass on the Sig 239. What I really want is a good home defense weapon, one that will last a lifetime. From what I read, the CZs are the way to go.

So, w/that said:

1. What is the difference between the 75 and the 85 line?

2. I'm thinking about the CZ75BD. Any reasons why I should take the safety over the decocker? BTW, I will never use it cocked and locked and am very used to a decocker from my experience w/my Sig and my PPK (although the latter is a combo).

3. Does the CZ75BD have an internal firing pin safety? If yes, does it work like the Sig's?

4. Where can I order online or by phone to get the cheapest deal?

Thanks.

Hello. You might find http://www.cz-usa.com an interesting site as it has pictures of the guns you mention and answers your questions. I prefer the safety because I like cocked and locked, but as you do not and are already familar with decockers, the version you mention might be the best for you. I think you'll find any CZ you might buy accurate and reliable. Best.

I would go Sig fwiw. I had a 239 .40 that was the most accurate .40 I ever shot. You don't have a decock function on the CZ 75's meaning you must ride the hammer down if you want to make the pistol safe. Be sure to Factor in that your wife may be forced to use that weapon if it is a home defense weapon. The 239 handles like a big pistol and shoots better than most period.

I've had several SIGS (P-210, P-239, and P-220), but have only the P-210 today.

The P-239 was okay, but too small for my hand. I didn't like the sub-10 round capacity in a 9mm. The 220 was okay, but I like 1911s better. The P-210 is unique and I'll probably keep it for a long time.

I had a CZ-75B, bought a CZ-85 Combat, later sold the CZ-75 (because, in effect, after getting the 85, I wasn't shooting it any more). And the 75 was pretty good.

The 85 Combat is the best all-around pistol I own, and I own several nice ones. I much prefer it to the SIGS, if only because the DA/SA transition is much better. It, like the 75, has the added advantage of being able to be shot from and carried "cocked and locked."

My 85 (not available in .40), with a trigger job ($40) shoots almost as well as the P-210, no small accomplishment, and is ergonomically superior.

SIGS have a well-deserved reputation for being quality guns, but my experience tells me that CZs are at least as good, shoot at least as well. They are better pointers, at least as durable, and cost less.

Easy decision, from my point of view.

I'm not sure which CZ-75 uses a decocker but given the choice between a CZ or a Sig, I would go with my CZ first. I have a Sig 226 but I think the trigger is far heavier than my old CZ-75. My CZ shoots just as well and has malfunctioned just as often as my Sig, which is never. The CZ feels better to me and for living in North Dakota where we have 9 months winter and 3 months poor sledding weather, being able to carry it cocked and locked so I can get a gloved finger into the trigger is important. If I have any complaints about my CZ, the sights on mine (it's an old pre-import marked model) are small and not as quick to pick up. Other than that, my CZ is IMHO a better pistol than my Sig and is a lot cheaper as well.

check out the CZ forum for lots of CZ info at http://www.unitedforums.com/cgi-bin/czfcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

1)
CZ-75 -firing pin safety fixed sights
CZ-85 -firing pin safety fixed sights, ambidex controls
CZ-85 Combat- no firing pin safety, Adjustable sights, ambidex controls, trigger over travel stop.

2)Never use it cocked and locked? Get the decocker. The safety only works while gun is cocked so it has no advantage over decocker for you and you don't have to decock manually.

3)Yes the CZ-75b series all have firing pin safeties, can't compare to Sig I don't have one.

4)Shop around. I know a distributer called Accuview sports carries em. They don't have a web site. http://www.jgsales.com carries em and they have a web site.

shiro

If you are SURE you will never acclimate to Condition One carry, then

Yes, get the decocker-equipped 75BD model. The lever is frame mounted, and very natural to use. The DA trigger of the 75/85 series is the best of any DA/SA pistol out there. The internal linkage is completely different, which allows the pull to be smoother. You may also check http://www.northeastfirearms.com and Wholesale Guns and Ammo that advertise in the Shotgun News.

I think you'll like the CZ. I love mine and can't wait to get more.

The main difference between the 75 and 85 line is the ambidextrious controls on the 85. The 75 is designed for right hand shooters.

No reason to take the safety over the decocker (if you'll never carry it condition one) except for the price. You can get the CZ-75B military (with a safety) for about $349. The decocker models usually run more because they are late production and not 1996 military contract overruns.

All the CZs with a "B" in the model designation (ie. CZ-75B, CZ-85B) have a firing pin safety. Don't know how it compares to the SIG but I would guess that pretty much all firing pin safeties work in a similar way?

You've already got some good suggestions for on-line retailers.

Joe

Back