CZ Model 70(?) image, anyone?

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Hey, johnwill or other member---
I'd like to see a good photo of a "CRVENA ZASTAVA" Model 70(unsure of the last) 7.65 mm pistol.

Much obliged - - -
Johnny Guest

cz-70.jpg

976257105-1.jpg

Johnny, I hope these help!

Steve Mace

Thanks for the image, Steven - - -

- - -But it appears I made the wrong request.

I have on loan a badly damaged pistol with a very interesting story. As soon as I get proper photos taken, I will post a series, along with at least part of the story. Perhaps you or another member can ID the pistol.

It seems to have had a sliding type--non-DA--trigger. There is a 1911-type slide lock in place on the left side. There is a hole for a mag catch as shown in your photo.

The words,
CRVENA ZASTAVA - Cal. 7,65 Mod 70
are on the left side of the slide. I just verified these markings again, and the spelling is correct.

The words,
MADE IN YUGOSLAVIA
in English, are on the right side of the slide. No other markings are visible, except for "7,65 mm" on lower left side of the magazine.

Slide is slotted for an extyernal claw extractor (missing.) A narrow, grooved, rib runs the length of the top of the slide. There is a barrel bushing, with a hole for a guide rod (missing.) The front of the slide is squared off in the manner of the 1903/1908 Colt Pocket Pistols, where the one in your photo is shaped more like a Walther PP slide.

There are 14 finger grip slide serrations slanted forward, as shown in your photo.

Thanks for the help.

Best,
Johnny Guest

No picture per se but there's a line drawing and some text on this in [The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns; Pisolts and Revolvers of the World, 1870 to the Present[/b] by A.B. Zhuk page 298;
Model 70; Zavodi Crevena Zastava, Kraguejevac. 7.65 Auto; 165 mm overall, 94 mm barrel, 675 gm. Eight rounds. Similar externally to the Tokarev, this is a simple blowback. The Model 70K chambers the 9 mm Short (.380 ACP) cartridge, its magazine containing seven rounds only.
Below that is the drawing.
BTW the picture above is of a CZ 70. A different firearm altogether.

The above picture looks like a CZ-50 with that grip. Perhaps they are interchangeable, though. The hammer style is the only other way I know of discriminating between the two models, and that is unclear to me in the photo.

The CZ 70 you folks are talking about (and the picture shows) is the Czech CZ 70, Ceska Zbrojovka, from Prague. The Yugo CZ 70 has a slide that more resembles a 1911 slide. Hopefully an image (not very high quality, but the only one I could find) appears below. If not go to Marstar's site http://www.marstar.ca/crvzas67s.htm
crvzas67s.htm

fal308, you have it!

For some reason, I can't view the image you sent, but the line drawing in the Marstar site is the very one. I especially recognize the groove and detents for the safety lever. And the front of the slide looks right, as well.

Much obliged. Still looking for a photo I can pirate, to display with the wreckage of this particular pistol.

Best,
Johnny Guest

I found a photo of one in the 4th edition of Military Small Arms of the 20th Century by Ian Hogg and John Weeks on page 64.
Don't have a scanner to reproduce the photo though, sorry.

There is a small writeup on it, as follows;
Crvena Zastava Mod 70
Azvodi Crvena Zastava, Beograd
Various calibres-see text
The basic Yugoslavian Model 70 pistol is based on their earlier Model 57, which was a locally-made version of the Soviet Tokarev using the Soviet 7.62mm cartridge. Wisely, the Yugoslavs decided that omm Parabellum was a better combat round, and the Model 70 is simply a Tokarev redesigned to take the 9mm cartridge. In this respect, it resembles the Tokagypt.
In recent years two blowback pistols have been produced, probably to arm police, under the Model 70 designation. The M70 is chambered for the 7.65x17mm (.32 ACP) cartridge, while the M70(k) uses the 9x17mm(.380 Auto) cartridge. Both are externalphammer designs, with magazine safety incoprorated.
(M70)(d)
Length: 7.88in (200mm)
Weight unloaded: 1lb 15oz (0.90kg)
Barrel: 4.56in (116mm)
Magazine: 9-round detachable box
Muzzle velocity: c.1250fps (380mps)

(M70 and M70(k))
Weight unloaded: 1lb 8oz (0.70kg)
Barrel: 3.7in (94mm)
Magazine: 8-round detachable box
Muzzle velocity: 7.65mm: 985 fps (300mps); 9mm short; 900 fps (275mps)

Great site, as I need an extractor for my Polish Radom pistol...

I just didn't think I would have to pay over $30 American for it! :eek:

Back