CZ Handgun Finishes-Polymer or Nickel?

DougB

A friend of mine is about to order a CZ-75 Compact. I plan to get one in the near future as well. It is available with several finishes. I'd heard good things about the black Polymer finish, but I just read in another posting here that it chips/wears off fairly easily. I'm wondering if the nickel would be the more durable finish? I'd really prefer stainless, but apparently CZ doesn't make it. Any suggestions/experiences with these finishes? Thanks.

Dougb,
I don't have any experience with the nickle version, but the polymer finish is tough. I handle it constantly,holster it unholster it everyday.Had mine for 3 years and it was 2 years old when I bought it.If I can manage to keep the finish on it then anyone can.

I have a CZ-75B and love it -- except for the Polymer (painted on) finish. Its less durable than it appears, and will scratch or chip more easily than I expected.

(I'm not generally a klutz when doing this sort of thing, but I put a nice chip in the finish adjoinging the sight on the slide while trying to drift the sight, and scratches while trying to remove the takedown lever.)

Go with the Nickle finish. Had I had that option, I would have taken it.

DougB-Have a compact with the polymer finish and it is very nicely finished and tough. Supposedly the earlier polymer finish was not quite as good. By the way, CDNN is now advertizing factory high cap mags for this pistol. First time i have been able to locate them anywhere.

I suppose some may have had luck with CZ's polymer finish but in my experience it's anything but tough. On the Compact that I owned (made in 1994) it was chipping just from sitting in the plastic lining of the box. Once I began to use a holster the finish went even faster. The area around the ejection port, around the slide to frame area, and the contact points with the holster looked very ratty after a couple of weeks.

Don't even waste your money on the nickel finish. A friend of mine bought a nickel finished Compact about a year before I got mine. The plating began to chip of within days of the purchase. I like CZ pistols, I think they're very well built and bargains but their finishes leave much to be desired.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited January 17, 2000).]

My CZ-75 was made in about 1992 and it has the polymer finish. The finish at some sharp edges, like the ejection port, is starting to wear thin, but it hasn't chipped in any way. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the finish.

I have a K-Kote SIG P226 that has some major chips around the muzzle where it was bumped against hard objects (muzzle sticking out of a holster).

Back