CZ clones?

Bullmoose

Anybody have experience with either the Springfield P9 (Brazilian parts?) or EAA Tanfolgio (made in Italy)? Do they measure up to the high praise that I see on the board for the CZ originals? I guess both were made to get around the problems with sanctions on the originals. I understand that Springfield discontinued their P9 several years ago, but you see both them and the Tans still kicking around. Also is there any interest at all in the 9x21 that was the attempt to circumvent the 9x19 not allowed to make major in IPSEC?

My Tanfoglio GT-27 in .25 has been a jam-o-matic!A friend has a Witness in .45acp that he more or less likes.The .25 has got to be the single most worthless round in existence! :)

Trop: My GT-27 has been a smooth ammo hose! That's for another post if you would like to take issue with me on that one. The original post was not about that, it was about CZ-75 clones, Tanfoglio being only one maker of them and the GT-27 being completely unrelated.

Bull: The EAA is a good copy, IMO. I've had experience with both the 9mm and the 45 versions. The 9mm was flawless but one of the 3 45's I bought had magazine trouble. Bought it for my boss and his other two magazines worked. My 45 and the other one which ended up with a friend never skipped a beat. The two 9mm's that I've owned were a "FAB 92" and I believe it was called a TZ 75. The FAB was a police confiscated gun that had been beat to crap by the previous owner. It came sans magazine. I put a new one in, filed off the marks where it had been thrown against a wall or dropped, and it went bang every time. The other 9mm was in much better condition.

As cheap as the CZ's are nowadays compared to Sigs and the like, I'd buy one of those first. You'd be better served by the extra Hundred, IMO.

Tanfoglio makes the EAA Witnesses, and used to make the parts for Springfield.
Still make parts for the "Baby Eagle", and not sure if they're still making parts for some other European clone-types.

Own three frames, many tops, love them all (but my ultra-accurate 45ACP full-size has never been reliable in 45).

Buy a CZ75 if you're not an 'improver' or 'tinkerer'.

TZ

Comparing the guns themselves, the TZ is well below the finish quality of the CZ. As I've stated before in previous posts, there are a number of unfinished mill marks in mine and you can't run your finger down along the frame and slide rails without cutting yourself. But, it was only $300.

Most importantly (to me anyways), however, the TZ shoots and shoots very well. It is just as accurate as my SIGs, HKs, Walthers, HPs, CZ, etc. (in 9 mm). If you can get over their low quality finish (at least the early guns) IMO they are a very good buy (at least in 9 mm). As stated above, though, the CZs are themselves now very inexpensive (for the time being). Might as get the real deal and go CZ, but you can't go wrong with a Tan if you decide otherwise (again IMO).

I'm pretty sure the P9s are Tans too as are the TAs, ATs, Jerico/Baby Eagles (frame), Witnesses.

had an i.m.i., assembled from tanfoglio parts in israel. the best thing i could say about it is that it functioned. now have a new cz, there is no comparison. you can get cz' for about $350.00 if you look around. i think i paid $320 or $330 for the i.m.i. well worth the extra few bucks to get the real thing.
kdub

Back