CZ-83 Durability??

JL Hunnicutt

How well do these hold up? A local shop has one NIB in .380 w/2mags for 220.00+tax. Good price? How does this gun compare to the Makarov? How does it compare to .380s costing more, i.e. Browning, Walther, etc? I've heard that the CZs may contain soft steel and consequently my have a less than optimim service life. Thanks for your time.

No firsthand knowledge, but CZ has a good reputation. I can't imagine any "soft metal" in those. My guess would be normal service life. Or maybe better, as those pistols seem a little bigger 'n beefier than smaller .380's.

JL; I'm no expert on CZ's but I can't even imagine them using "soft" steel. You hear nothing but praise from folks on TFL about their CZ's. The CZ83 is an all steel pistol and in 380 cal it won't "wear out" in a lifetime. I almost bought one a couple months ago for $299.95. $220.00 is an absolute steal! Good Luck, J. Parker

Hello. I own both a Bulgarian Makarov in 9x18Mak and a CZ83 in .380ACP. I've not torture-tested either, but I suspect strongly that the CZ83 will last as long as the Mak and both would last for one heck of alot of shooting. Both are large for caliber and all steel as you likely already know. I did replace the Makarov with the heavier spring, 19lbs, I think.

Best.

Back