CZ-82 mags...really?

BobbyT

So I finally bit the bullet and ordered a CZ-82. Of course I did this without checking out the mag situation.

All I see are the occasional one for $25 or more--and these are for used surplus mags. Am I just looking in the wrong place, or is there seriously that much of a premium on them?

I find it hard to believe that I can buy CZ-52 mags for $10-12 when it was in production for 2 years and about 200,000 copies, but somehow a more modern gun produced for much longer has such sparse ones.

Any sources?

When you find some cheaper let me know.Have two 82's and finally just gave in and purchased extras from CDNN,Maybe Mec-Gar will realize the extra sales theyre missing and come out with a CZ version.And while you're at it have Starline make up a batch of .455 too,we might as well make alls well in the world.

I know that this adds nothing to the topic, but feel happy that you don't have a Walther P5 like I do. $75 for a magazine. Except for the Pro-Mag ones that are jam-o-matics in my gun.

If you want a brand new one, J&G has them for the low, low price of 40 smackers :p

The CZ 83 mags for .380 are interchangeable, however these cost $45 new, but are available from mainstream outlets like Midway, etc. All the surplus 82's were imported with 2 mags most likely then the distributors and wholesalers kept one from each gun to have a resale inventory.

Where can you buy CZ-52 Mags for 10-15 bucks? :D

I really do need some. I just have the two that came with my Pistol.

Whoops, I'm mixing up my C&Rs. My CZ-52 came with extra mags; it's the Tokarev I bought the extra for (pretty sure it was under $15).

Best I see CZ-52 mags for now is $20--one of the usual places like J&G should have them.

I did try looking for CZ-83 mags, but didn't see them for under $30. That's ridiculous--the thing's been in production for close to 30 years!

I'm 100% positive that none of you own a Steyr GB.;):)

Those prices aren't too bad, but I made sure my CZ82 came with two mags. FYI, I love carrying it. It ain't pretty so wear on the finish won't bother me at all. I just wish that there were more choices for ammunition, but I like how Hornady offers XTP's in 9x18.

Wikipedia says only 15-20,000 Steyr GBs were made.
200,000 CZ-52s were made in 2 years, 60 years ago.

The CZ-82 has been in production for 25+ years, still is, and apparently everyone in the Czech Republic / Slovakia owns one. I don't get it.

My guess is that, for whatever reason, the Czech police is not getting rid of their extra magazines as quickly as they're getting rid of the pistols. It could be that they still have enough CZ-82s in circulation to justify maintaining a stockpile of spares.

It's probably not fair to compare the CZ-82 to the CZ-52 and Tokarev TT-33 because those pistols are totally obsolete, so there would be no reason to maintain any spares.

My guess is that, for whatever reason, the Czech police is not getting rid of their extra magazines as quickly as they're getting rid of the pistols. It could be that they still have enough CZ-82s in circulation to justify maintaining a stockpile of spares.

Or a lot of magazines suffered damage, wear and tear, or some other loss, and never made it to the surplus market. Extra magazines are issued for other reasons than just more ammo.

The CZ82 I just bought came with two (2) mags but the dealer offered me more mags at $18 a piece (he has over 350 CZ82 mags in stock), I bought 5 and cost no more in S&H as they shipped with the gun so I feel I got a good deal on them. :cool:

I read in shotgun news that a Chz company is making a 57 round rapid loading (rear load) Snail-Drum accessory for the CZ82 and will cost $75 + S&H, avail in May of this year, they are accepting orders now for them. I ordered one and they gave me a ship date of May 12, 2010. After I get it I will do a range report to see if they work or are a POS.

Now they need a 16" barrel and a shoulder stock and I will be a happy guy :D.

SOG won't list shipping without you placing the order--that's a pretty big "gotcha" if you're just ordering 1 or 2 mags...I'd hate to buy a couple $8 mags only to find that shipping was $10.

I agree, if that's what they're up to: Trying to make $$ off of shipping.

But find out for sure: Call them then, and give them your ZIP code and ask how much to ship 2 mags-- also ask why you have to place an order BEFORE finding out shipping (THAT is just wrong) -- if they won't say, then get back here and let us know.

Some time ago, I bought 13-15 Tokarev mags (new) for about the same price -- don't recall from whom though -- so I have plenty now. Still, these are at a great price and I had to resist buying more.

Whatever, don't pass up buying cheap magazines for obscure/obsolete guns...prices will only go UP if you wait.

-- John D.

I've bought several items from SOG - while their policy of not stating shipping costs until after the order has been placed may seem 'conspiratorial', they've never ripped me off. Rifles have been around $15, pistols $20, odds and ends vary but are generally much less than $10. Of course, YMMV based on location, shipping priority, etc.

Back