CZ-75B range report

jlflegal

Over the past year I have bought many guns; a 1911, two .38 revolvers, a .357 revolver, two Makarovs, and a .22 auto, trying to find the one that's ME. 1911 recoiled too much with slow recovery. Never could get the hang of revolvers (the most uncomfortable of them all was a Model 10, those grips! ouch!!), the Maks are a bit snappy (fun to shoot, but not for long). The Buckmark has become the favorite, over 5,500 rounds in the first twelve months attests to that. All are gone except the Mak for CCW, the .38 snub for the house, and the Browning for fun. I still wanted a full time, "serious" handgun that I could
enjoy shooting well and alot. The survivors were perfectly filling niches, but what is the do everything gun?

Literally months of reading the advice found right here and then going out to look at recommendations helped me get the choices down to five. Tuesday I bought "the one" and yesterday I shot it - CZ-75B.

Remember that show in the 70's, DY-NO-MITE! I had a little concern about recoil, evem in 9mm, shooting Maks do that to ya. Not a problem, extremely comfortable. Accuracy was just fabulous, at 21 ft. off hand, all the holes were touching! At 15yds the hits opened up (my fault) but still easily grouped within a four inch circle on the paper plate.
Trigger action in both modes was smooth and just what I like. The sights were as good as the Browning. Muzzle flip was almost unnoticed, nice quick reacquisition of the target. Two guys watching even commented on how good it shot being brand new. And to think this was just the first fifty rounds, it can only get better? WOW! CZ, where have you been all my life? Well, honey, I mean all my one year life with guns. Honey, you do believe me, right? Honey, now don't..... uh darling.................

Okay, I'm back:
Everything I've read about this pistol on TFL over the many months were proven true.

Two things to say to visitors of this website:

1) Believe what you read in these posts. No gun magazine, gunshop clerk, or friends can come close to the magnitude of "real world" experience and advice you will find here.

2) Go get a CZ-75B. The old adage about "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" doesn't apply here, this gun IS as good as they say- Really. Go buy one, you will be so glad you did. I sure am.

I just got mine too.When I shot it my first thought was Wow. The pistol shoots exactly to point of aim. The only real faults I could find with my pistol are the thumrest grips and the glow in the dark paint that I can barely see, and the fact that mags don't drop free. Well I changed the grips, repainted the front sight with bright white paint and fixed the mag brake. While I was in there doing the brake I took a couple of coils off the hammer spring to make the trigger a tad lighter. Not enough though to cause light primer hits. It is definately a great pistol. It just makes it nice that they are a bargain too.

[Edited by railroader on 01-07-2001 at 09:06 PM]

AAAHHHH,

Welcome to my world!! I currently own almost all production models of these wonderful guns. Also a Swiss 75b and an original issue 75b. Now you know why I preach CZ! They are great guns, every one is accurate and dependable. The polymer CZ110 is the answer for those people who like the idea of a glock but can't stand the trigger, and the compact models(especially the PCR) are ideal carry guns. Welcome to CZ PERFECTION!!....CZ....

czman,

The 75B I have seems to be pretty high in build quality (got it about 5 yrs ago). From what I've read, however, is that the pre-importable CZ-75s were of even higher quality. (The ones with the High Power-like relief cut in the front portions of the slide that extend into the dust cover.) If you have one or more of these, are they really higher in quality than the currently manufactured guns? Is there any difference in accuracy between old and new?

Hello. All the CZ75s I own are Pre-B models including the one Swiss-made "Solothurn" CZ. All of them have better single and double-action pulls than the newer guns that I've tried. This does not mean that the new guns' pulls are "bad." I bought one CZ75B in forty a few weeks ago, but got rid of it for several reasons, but did note that the single-action pull was quite "gritty" when it was engaging the firing pin safety just before the shot would break. For this reason as well as the fact that I just don't care for forty, I sold the gun.

The new guns do have more readily visible fixed sights than my old guns and the finish is better than the black enamel on some of the old CZs. The new CZ's slide-to-frame fit is tighter than all of my older CZs, but both have bank vault tight fit between slide and bbl.

My new CZ was quite reliable and the older ones have been as well.

Hope this is of use.

Best.

Welcome to the happy world of CZ ownership. :)

Sometimes when I tell folks about my experience with the CZ-75B they don't believe a $339 pistol can be that good. It's nice to see someone else has seen the light.

Enjoy your new pistol. Be sure to -seriously- consider a Kadet .22LR conversion kit for your CZ. Lots of cheap shooting fun and it's every bit as accurate (if not more so) as it is in 9mm.

Joe

Check it out in Websters--

"CZ75B: word of eastern european origin synonomous with 'value' and 'reliability' ".

It's really in there, honest...

Yes, yes, where have you been all my life? I asked it too. Very easy gun to shoot, and the most accurate one that I have personally shot. Ditto what Joe said about the Kadet kit. Heck, you may sell off the Buckmark if you get one of those. I dare say mine is just as, if not more, accurate as the Micro that I had.

Check out http://www.CDNNinvestments.com for the Pro-Mag standard mags at a great price. I would suggest one more 'factory' mag if you are going to carry it, and rotate between the two of them for the one in the gun.

Fast, fun and cheap !

I have had my Military Cz-75B for about 2 months now. I like it. I am not a fan of 9mm but it is a blast to shoot. Damn, I have already shot a lot of ammo. Good thing that surplus 9mm can be had so cheap.

Although I like it and it is fun, it will never replace my 1911 in 45 A.C.P. .

If i had to choose one handgun for defence of my family or for myself and being left without help on a deserted island i WILL take CZ 75B. I am not an accurate shooter but she makes me look like one. If she only had ears i would tell her how much i love her.

You are preaching to the choir, as far as I'm concerned.

Value, accuracy, quality. Only thing I would change is the factory grips on mine. They fit well, but look kinda cheap. Does anyone have a line on wood replacement grips?

cz75b

I went ahead and purchased a cz 75 a few months back. When I got the chance to take it out to the range I was impressed with the accuracy and the fact that I ate everything but there was something annoying about the grips. I went ahead and put it away and didn't think of it again until the next gun show, there was a guy there selling hogue wood grips that were factory seconds at, if I remember correctly, somewhere at half price, that and I didn't have to deal with shipping. I picked up a nice set of wood grips for the cz. It wasn't until I took the plastic grips off the cz that I realized how much slimmer the wood grips make the cz, also the annoying thumb rest that would annoy the heck out of my hand was also gone. And even more the cz looked better with the wood grips, I would have rather had darker wood because that's what I prefered but I must say I was impressed.

I just recently took the cz out with some of my other handguns. I found myself and several other people I was there with going back to the cz, at first I didn't mind because I thought hey the ammo's cheap. But it got me wondering, so I took a few rounds down range. The wood grips from hogue change the feel of the gun, again it's slimmer, but it also allows you to get much more of your hand on the grips as opposed to the plastic grips. Anyone consider a change of grips might want to try these out.

UltimaSE

Marko,I highly recomend Hogue`s wood grips. These are checkered cocobolo. Note how thin the grip is with these on,they feel awesome. :) Marcus
View
View

I would agree with Stephen on the trigger issue. My first CZ was a 75, and compared to my B model (the B stands for firing pin block BTY) The older guns trigger was smoother. However after about 200 rnds the B trigger smoothed right out. Enjoy your CZ, right now they are a semi-secret in the gun world. But it won't last long and the prices will go up. Also if there are any hunters or long gun plinkers on here, the CZ rifles are also greatly undervalued at this time. ...CZ...

Personaly, I like the Hogue wraparound rubber grips. I must admit that the wood ones look incredible, but I found that on warm days my hands sweat and the lack of texture on the front or back of the grip makes shooting hard. As I dont carry ('cause I live in NJ) I dont worry about getting the grips stuck in my clothes and the black on black makes the CZ look quite sexy. I suppose I like them so much because it makes the CZ75 look like my friends DE .357 which also has the same style grips. Not that I would trade (maybe only to sell the DE and buy a new CZ75 and a CZ97), but you must admit that there is nothing quite as good looking as a black DE with wraparound grips.

Lochaber

Just to add what Lochaber said; the Hogue rubber grips add a lot to the CZ75b, the grips were the only drawback. Now it is rapidly becoming my favorite pistol.

Added Hogue checkered wood grips to mine, major improvement.

I am impressed with the DA trigger pull, approaches a S&W revolver, but like already noted by others, the SA pull is note the best. It does improve as you accumulate rounds thru the gun. The problem is due less to the firing pin safety,than to the camming action. Watch the hammer as you pull the trigger, it goes back just before it breaks. This creates stacking in the pull and a less than great trigger. I am trying an experiment the next time I go shooting with my CZ, I've put some Gun Slick on the sear and hammer. It feels better dry firing, will see if it helps under range conditions.

For those of you that have them: Do the Hogue wood panels have the same profile or feel as the factory plastic stocks? Or, are they even a bit slimmer? I don't mean the thumbrest 'Military' grips, but the slimmer, checkered stocks that come with the commercial model. Thanks.

Back