CZ 75

Roland Thunder

I recently bought my first CZ, a CZ 75. I watched a video on how to field strip and clean it. In the video, the author used oil to lube the rails. I have always used grease to lube rails on metal guns and oil/CLP on polymer gun rails. So, I went with my intuition and used grease.

For those of you with metal CZ's, do you lube with grease or oil.

I have a few CZ's and I oil all of them. I use a very light oil ( Hoppes I think). I shoot all year, and living in the northeast, the cold winters make me think oil is best. I am afraid the grease may be a bit too thick in the extreme cold. However, even in the mild summers, I use the same light old. Thousands of rounds with no bad effects.

You may be fine with gun grease, but I prefer oil.

Good luck

Rich

You didn’t mess anything up with putting grease on the rails of a cz. I prefer to grease rails personally, and the CZ platform is not designed so that it suffers damage or doesn’t benefit from grease on the rails.

Those are some mighty long rails as far as rails go. I use oil. I don't know when grease got popular (sort of), but there's a whole lot of stuff that will break, wear out, or whatever way before oiled rails.

Post people I know use grease on 1911 rails because they are metal. So, I figure the same would hold true for the CZ 75. Sig actually sends a little tube of grease in the box of new 226's, as I recall.

Love grease on full rail pistols.
Slide Glide Lite or white lithium grease painted onto both sides very thin.
Feels better than oil if nothing else.

I use grease on rails (sliding metal on metal).
Oil on barrel/top of hood.

SIGS, CZs, 1911s, Glocks, HKs etc. etc.

I have been using grease for a while on my semi-autos. I think as long as you have lubrication on the pistol it will be fine.

No matter what the frame is made of (polymer, metal) so far rails have been made of metal. There have been some exceptions. Kahr has a short section of polymer rail as a guide, and i think some XD did too, older Ruger pistols, as did first gen Polymer 80 rear rails. Some rails are made of aluminum (sig226, beretta92 and some pocket pistols) so that's why people are so worried about wearing through the annodization and use what they feel is the most protective grease they have that will stay put. They're worried oil will run off. But even most polymer guns have rails made of metal. So if something works for 1, there is no rule forbidding it's use for the other.

Last edited:
"...went with my intuition..." Good for you. This'd be one of the reasons to not get your training from a video. It's grease on mating parts and oil on the rest. Oil will drain off while grease will not.

Dan Wesson specifically recommended that I use oii, not grease, on my DW 1991s after I had FTF issues with them. Apparently their tolerances are too tight for the thicker lube. I use grease on all my other handgun rails.

If it slides - grease.
If it spins or rotates - oil.

Mobile1 synthetic grease works well on all my pistols. Grease on FL slide rails and a little on the hood helps keep out the rain. I've never had problems even in very cold harsh weather. It can be applied quite thin and stays put for a long time whereas oil tends to evacuate working areas more quickly. I also use it on the guide rod.

Whether you use grease or oil may also depend on the environment: if there is a lot of dirt, grit in the environment, tor if the temperature is very high or very low, grease can be a problem. Otherwise, it tends to be a non-issue.

I view this question a bit like the debate over Nitrogen in auto tires or air. Most of the folks involved in that debate don't seem to realize that air is 78% nitrogen and only 21% oxygen. Does pure nitrogen (or in this case, grease on the slide and frame) really make that big a difference in performance or durability?

Last edited:
I've used Break-Free for over 40 years and never had any wear issues on semi rails. A friend always uses grease on his guns and it attracts a lot of "scuzz" and I don't see any difference in rail wear between our guns.

Owning a clone I find the synthetic lubricants work very well and offer astounding retain ability on parts without over attraction of contamination particles. Of course if I am headed to a known dusty environment I make sure I didn’t over do it lol.

Back