CZ 75

Status
Not open for further replies.

George F

What's the skinny on the CZ 75? Seems like a nice pistol. I can't seem to find a website that tells me much about it including specs and dimensions. Any help would be appreciated.

Frankly, I like the EAA Witness better. CZ changed the backstrap shape, which was one of the best things about it. Additionally, the CZ can't be carried with the hammer down and the safety on. The EAA can.

I just talked to a dealer who carrys the CZ's the EAA and the Baby Eagle. He says that the CZ-75 High Cap Mags work in all these and vice-versa. Anyone confirm. I am looking into the Baby Eagle. Don't know if I want the Compact or Mid.

Tony.

George, I have the CZ-85 and it is a great pistol and the price is reasonable. Remember, it is the pistol that Jeff Cooper based the Bren Ten on and he had said that it would be the finest combat pistol out there if it weren't for the caliber. Mine will put the entire magazine into under 2" at 25 yards. Since I NEVER use the DA feature I don't care if the safety works for DA, in fact, I have had a Dlask tigger installed which converts it to SA only anyway. The only grip out there that feels as good in my hand is the Browning HP. Probably the best made of all, it is the original, you can even see the marks where every frame and slide is hardness tested. Not like on the Italian castings.

The CZ is an excellent pistol. I just sold my 85 a few weeks ago and I had real misgivings about letting it go. The quality on the CZ is far superior to the Italian copies. CZ's are still hand fitted, polished and tested by gunsmiths. You won't find that quality at that price anywhere, especially on the cheap Italian knock-offs.
The CZ is actually less expensive than the copies so... don't even go there.

My only criticism of the CZ is that its a bit large for a 9mm. If you are planning concealed carry, get the compact version. My experience with mags is with the Tanfoglio mags (currently called the Witness?), anyway, they did NOT function in the CZ.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

joegerardi: You can carry the CZ-75 with the hammer down and the safety on. Mine is in front of me now, and I just tried it, successfully.

My only complaint with the CZ-75 is the difficulty in finding a smith that is confident with them.

Greetings, sir. My CZ75s are the older versions imported in the early to mid '80s. The safety will not engage when the hammer's down on these versions of this great design, either, but like the other poster mentioned, this gun can be carried cocked and locked. Mine have proven accurate, reliable, and tough. The newer guns do appear to have better sights, however. Best.

I really love my CZ 75B. I consider it an updated Browning Hipower. It really is a great pistol. I don't think you can find this quality on pistols at twice the cost. It is a big pistol for what you get, but it makes a great range/bedside gun.

About two months ago I purchased a CZ-85, and I can't be more please with it, especially with the Hi-Cap mags. The gun is great and very accurate. Plus with 85 you get the benifit of adjustable sights. I like the fact that it a full size 9mm, for me I shoot this gun much better that my friends compact 9's and feel much more confident with it.

On the mag interchangability question: the Witness/Baby Eagle mags are a little wider at the front of the opening and are a little more squared off. I bought a couple of these a while back, thinking they would work in my CZ, and every one of them would lock the slide back with 1 round left in the mag. They also protruded from the bottom of the grip just a tad, but if you fully inserted them, they would, again, lock the slide back.

I would suspect that CZ mags would function well in the Witness, but not vise versa.

Not that it matters anyway as brand new, 15 round, CZ-75 mags are available from CZ-USA for $35.

Bought a 75B a month ago for $334 with 1 factory 15. Also bought 4 hi caps from J&G for $49 each (I thought CZ-USA was sold out; oh well). Have about 1000 through it with 2 failures to eject total early on. Ate 9BP-LE, Hydra-Shok, Gold Dot 124 +Ps flawlessly. Better trigger than my MKIII Hi Powers, on par with a 226. About as accurate as a Hi Power, less so than a 226. Might look into a Bar-Sto. I think the grip feel and quality is
better than the Hi Power. Grip feel better than 226, polymer finish better than the rust prone SIG bluing. Finish on the CZ mags is starting to get thin in the front from the mag brake. I bought the flat grips; didn't like the thumb rest style.

J&G no longer carries the Kadet 22 conversion kit. Will call CZ USA for that and adjustable trigger from CZ-85 and probably night sights. The standard sights supposedly "glow in the dark" but are some cheap stuff like on watch faces.

FWIW, Peter Kokalis gushed over the 75B and 22 conversion kit a few months ago in SOF. His opinions are usually reliable....

'turbo

944turbo:

If you want "drop-free" magazines, just remove the flat spring and bend the kinks out of it so that it actually is flat.

I ordered the drop-free flat spring from CZ and a reworked (ie re-bent) one is what I received. I think the one I originally bent flat was a little better. Oh well, what do you expect for $2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back