CZ 75 safe-carry question....

Pathfinder45

So, I was wondering if it is safe to carry a Cz 75 with a chambered round and the hammer down if it were accidentally dropped, etc. I'm used to single action revolvers, so this is new stuff for me. The Cz in question is the compact model with safety, not the decocker and it was made in 2016. Are the de-cocker versions considered to be more drop-safe, and if so, why? Actively trying to not be ignorant...... Thanks in advance for your replies.

Years ago I carried an 85 hammer down. Now I carry a PCR and use the decocker to drop the hammer after chambering, which leaves the hammer at a halfcock.

I know this isn't a great answer to your question, but being a CZ fan, I've never heard of an issue regarding drop fires with a CZ firearm in 20 years of being turned on to them.

I'm no expert, but CZ makes a quality product.

2016 model? Perfectly safe. I'd recommend halfcock, better trigger pull and that's where they are designed to be carried.

armoredman said:
2016 model? Perfectly safe. I'd recommend halfcock, better trigger pull and that's where they are designed to be carried.

While the safety-equipped 75B Compact -- the gun being discussed -- can certainly be carried and started from the half-cock notch for the reasons you cite, that model was NOT designed to be carried that way. The half-cock notch was an early modification of the original CZ-75 design, and it was considered a safety feature which could catch the hammer if it was accidentally released while decocking a loaded weapon.

When I had a safety-equipped Compact (I had several over the years), I carried cocked & locked (hammer cocked and safety engaged) for an even-better trigger.

It wasn't until many years later that the CZ decocker models were developed, and they were the first models designed to decock to and start from the half-cock position. CZ used an existing feature of the earlier design for that function.

Note: if you ever shoot IDPA it's against the rules to start a safety-equipped CZ from the half-cock notch if shooting in the Stock Service Pistol; I think that's true of the USPSA Production Division, too. But C&L, in IDPA, makes you move up a Class, to Enhanced Service Pistol.

Thanks again, everyone, for the helpful replies and I look forward to more. I don't shoot in any gun-games, just targets and informal plinking. I'm mostly a woods-guy rather than a range-guy; so this will not be replacing my woods-gun. I just felt the need to upgrade my home security, so that's the primary role for this. Just last night someone came on the property and stole our cans and bottles because they are worth 10 cents each here. I don't care so much about that as they probably needed it more than me and they left my tools alone. But it made me feel like there could be a next time that could matter a whole lot more.

Back