CZ-75 Pre-B Magazine

Skarekrow88

Just picked up a 1982 CZ-75 on a whim because it was the last one they had and I always wanted one. It was $50 cheaper because it didn’t come with a magazine and I assumed that it couldn’t be that hard to find one or one that would be compatible at least. I was wrong, based on my after-the-fact research the Pre-B magazines are sold out everywhere I can find them and I’ve read that the older than ‘92 Pre-B pistols won’t accept the newer magazines.

Anyone have any luck finding compatible mags or could someone point me in the direction of a Pre-B magazine?

Not all Pre B are the same, so you can throw out any information you find about fitting out the window IMO.
I had 2 Pre B at one time, a mid 80's and a 93, the 93 can take the newer mag, the 80's version did not, so it went down the road. I know of others that have 92-95 Pre B that wont accept the newer mag.

I don't own any to check the measurements, but supposedly the 18 rd mags are slightly narrower and can sometimes fit a Pre B.

Have you contacted CZ and asked them if they have any or where can you get them?

I have, and they do currently make Pre-B magazines but they are out of stock right now and have no idea when they will be back.

I had a pre-b and my gunsmith was able to just widen the top of the magazine well on the frame to accept the newer magazines and it worked fine.

This is a longshot, but I was in Houston, TX recrntly. Went to Collector's Firearms which had some CZ mags. I don't know whether they ship, but it's worth a call. Prices are competitive.

Before the CZ-75s were allowed in this country, Action Arms imported a Swiss clone, called AT-84. Exactly like the 75, but had a better finish. There was also acouple Italian clones, that were used in USPSA back in the day. . .

Last edited:
I think I now have 6 mags for my Pre-B, took a few months to accomplish. Originally one of them was too tight and I just sanded the s**t out of it. Works fine now. If you have any area gun shows, take the frame and see if any dealers have CZ75 mags you can try. If any are close you might be able to make it fit.

I have an Israeli police-surplus BUL Storm that takes slightly different mags from the usual CZ-75. Not sure if it's the same as the Pre-B, but finding mags for it was a hassle.
If anyone knows if it's the same as the Pre-B, please let me know. I'd like a few more mags.
EDIT: The 16-round small-frame Witness mags work. The 17-round large-frame mags don't.

Last edited:
OP, I’d tear into whoever sold you that Pre-B without mags, they knew the darn things are discontinued and possibly permanently back ordered. If Greg Cote LLC can’t get them, you’re going to be scrounging the spare mag bins at every LGS and gun show darn near everywhere! Stuff like this is enough to Tick Me Off!

Would someone post a known good pic of a Pre-B magazine? I have a large bag of CZ75 and only a 75B to test them with.

"Would someone post a known good pic of a Pre-B magazine? I have a large bag of CZ75 and only a 75B to test them with."

You can't tell them apart by looking, it's a small dimensional difference.

Have you tried using the 75/85 mags? I have an 85 Combat and a pre-B and I think I have used mags interchangeable between them. Plus some other Mec-Gar mags I bought later on. I'm not sure what year my pre-B is though.

"Would someone post a known good pic of a Pre-B magazine? I have a large bag of CZ75 and only a 75B to test them with."

You can't tell them apart by looking, it's a small dimensional difference.
Here's a pic of some pre b mags.

cz7515x4.jpg

Back