CZ 75 frames - are they forged and will they be cast in the near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack 99

I've been thinking about getting a CZ 75 for about 5 years. I keep putting it off for one reason or another. The other day in the gunstore, the friendly clerk was telling me that the CZs were coming out with a cast frame just like Browning did on the High Power so I had better get one while the forged were still available.

True or Gunshop BS?

Greetings. While there may (and I emphasize that word) have been some few forged frames on CZ 75s, all that I've ever seen including my early 1980s versions are cast. It's well done, but cast it is. I've never experienced any problems from it and therefore assume that it's well done. CZ is not coming out with cast frames; they've been using them all along at least in the CZ75. Best.

It is highly unlikely that gunshop clerk
knows what is going on in R&D department
of CZ, which is located across the ocean (1),
unless his brother is a chief engineer of
this Czech company and works as a spy for
this particular gunshop (2).

Pick #1, #2 or one of each, and that would be
the right answer to your question...(smile).

I thought they were cast. Should have trusted my instincts. I assume the slide is forged, isn't it?

How are they with feeding hollowpoints? I know they're a military pistol and sometimes anything besides FMJ ammo doesn't work so well in those types of pistols.

At less than $400, I think I've got to get one now. I've seen them for as little as $355. Are there better prices out there?

This is the same guy that told me (5 months ago) that Colt would discontinue civilian handgun sales. At the time, I thought he was full of it, so he has some credibility.

Anyone know when Browning stopped forging the frames on the Hi-Power?

Thanks for any input.

Hello. Yes, the CZ slides are forged. I don't know for sure why they're reliable with most JHPs, but rest assured that they are. Mine feeds anything. As to the BHP cast frame question, I'm not sure. A MkIII of mine has a forged frame while another has the cast frame. The cast frame is supposed to be tougher. I cannot prove it either way. I'd say and this is a guess, that Browning began the cast frames around 2 years to 18 months ago. Best.

re: the BHP... I was told by Novak's shop that the MkIII Hipowers, assembled in Portugal, had better heat treating than the MkII's and earlier models. Don't know if they were referring to cast or forged frames though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back