CZ 75 B Mil - Two Surprises Today

mbott

While sitting at work furiously banging away on the keyboard, I was interrupted by the telephone. Hmmm, that number looks familiar. It was my local dealer calling to tell me my CZ 75 B Mil arrived 1 day early. Great! That was surprise #1. Left work just a bit early. :)

Picked it up and took it home to clean all the oil off of it. Shame I just changed the oil in the truck on Saturday. Anyway, got it all cleaned up, slid a mag in the mag well and punched the mag release. Mag moved about 1/2 inch. Tried the other mag with the same results. Surprise #2 is that the mags do not drop free. Pulled the .40 caliber out of the safe and checked it. The .40 mags drop free without any hesitation. For grins, I put the 9mm mags in the .40 frame and they drop free there, too. I'm just a bit surprised that the mags don't drop free out of the Mil model. What about the commercial model? Do the mags drop free from it?

--
Mike

It has mag brake. I guess it`s so the mags don`t fall out and get lost during maneuvers or something. The fix is super easy, just pull one grip off and you`ll see the slightly curved strip of steel inside the back of the well. Reach in there with a needlenose pliers and bent it flat. There you`re done! :) If you really wanna get carried away you can remove the pin the secures it and flatten it on the bench but there`s really no need. I`m told it shouldn`t be removed totally because it shields parts of the mechanism from dirt and such. No matter once it`s bent flat the mags shoot right out. Marcus

does mag brake help?

mbott,
Personally, I have grown accustomed to the mag brake. I treat every mag change as tactical and reholster the down loaded mag in my single mag pouch. Though handling two double stacks at once took a little getting use to, pulling out the mag allows me index and catch the mag consistently.

Just something to consider.

I understand. Been a good day all around. Surprises and learned something new. Can't ask for more than that.

Thanks all!

--
Mike

The $8 cure.

Cz sells a drop free mag spring for like 8 bucks or something. You have to call cuz the web site sucks for accessories and parts.

At first I didn't like it either but now that factory high caps are $45-$50 each, I try to take a little better care of em. But if you are gonna use it for competition you might want to go for the replacement part.

I don't think I could bring myself to take needle nose pliers to my baby unless it was absolutely neccessary. good luck -ddt

I couldn't bring myself to use plier on my 75 either. I just took the flat mag brake spring out and bent it flat by hand and reinstalled. Works every bit as good as the $8 replacement part and it still has no tool marks on it.

I modify all my CZ's for drop free mag releases except for the PCR which comes from the factory set up for that.

Joe

Europeans traditionally have used magazine breaks in their pistols. Their military doctrines call for something similar to a tactical reload. Even if all the rounds are expended, the empty magazine may be useful latter. Americans generally want a quick solution.

The "drop free" mag brake that CZ-USA sells is just a regular one with that's been bent flat.

With the exception of CQB, the typical doctrine, US or otherwise, is to keep possession of your mags.

I flattened the brake on mine and bought Promags.I use these regularly and have never had a problem with them,they even drop free easier.And they're only $13.95 apiece.

I believe I'll wait before I change anything on this CZ 75 B. It will make it's first trip to the range today at lunch time. I might just get used to it the way it is. Thanks for all the input.

--
Mike

Back