CZ 712 Lube

the rifleer

The instruction manual for the CZ 712 is not very good, it does not say how to properly lubricate it. I've been putting either CLP or Rem oil on the magazine tube and it gets pretty dirty pretty fast. CLP seems to work better. The shotgun is very reliable for the first 150 shots or so, but after that it starts to sludge up. When I say its dirty, I mean it's really dirty. You can feel that its starting to build up sludge just by operating the bolt. It doesn't necessarily become unreliable, but out of about 500 shots I've had two failure to feeds, both were after the gun was starting to get pretty dirty. You can really feel the difference between when its clean and when its dirty.

Its gas operated for those who didn't know.

Inside the receiver it stays pretty clean and that's not a problem, the problem is on the mag tube. I've read that over lubrication is a problem with gas shotguns, but I just have a light coat of oil and I don't feel that it is over lubricated.

Whats the correct way to lubricate a gas shotgun?

Generally I use "Ed's Red" ( full formula) to clean with. Followed by a good drying. Oil will act like a dirt magnet, so be sure to wipe it down. I use a patch over a 12 ga brush, a bottle brush, a toothbrush, a Q-tip, pipe cleaner, and a toothpick to clean, dry, and to apply Ed's Red (half formula) for lubrication. Followed by a good wipe down.

Use turkey fat.........
rotf.gif

Back