CZ 550 vs. Howa 1500 vs. Ruger 77 MK II

gunnie12

Of these "mauser-type action" rifles which is better or better function all-around?

Construction and quality?

Pro's and con's?

Recommendation and comments from experience?

Warranty and service?

Thanks in advance...!

I've had very good service from ruger on "warrenty" work. They fixed my Mk II free of charge for an issue I cuased through incorrect use of the bolt stop.

I do not have any experinces with any of the rifles mentioned.

I do have a CZ 453 and love it.

Of the 3 mentioned, I prefer the Ruger because they are simply indestructible. Although they are not known as great shooters, I have had several that shot very well. The Howa is very reliable and typically very accurate. I had one in 223 many years ago. I have not shot a CZ, but they have a reputaton for fine accuracy.

FWIW, the Howa is technically not a "Mauser-type" (controlled round feed) action. It is a push-feed action.

I would go CZ. I simply have not been impressed with any of the Rugers I have owned to pick them over another brand, the one exception to this was my Blackhawk .357/9mm convertable and I still didn't keep it. I am also not a fan of the looks of the 77. I have seen some of the most beautiful stocks lately on CZ rifles. I am also a big fan of the set triggers on the CZs.

do a search on this forum under Howa 1500 and I bet you will not find a single negative post regarding them. They come in all grades, but the grade does not effect the accuracy. Just depends on how "pretty" you want your gun. Also, I would not categorize the 1500 as a Mauser action. It has a lot more similarities to a 700, but is really it's own design to a great degree. The bolt release is up top as opposed to the bottom like a 700. Also, the triggers are very easy to adjust, and have a greater "range" of adjustment on them. It also has the 3 position safety which I really like. My 1500 w/ a 22" barrel shoots 3/8-5/8" groups w/ my reloads. The gun may be capable of better, but the shooter isn't. I've always wanted to put it in a vice and see exactly how tight it really could shoot w/out any movement on part of myself. Overall, I really enjoy the gun, and am extremely pleased w/ its performance. :):):)I have not shot the others, so I can only speak about the Howa.

Back