cz 550, vanguard s 2, Model 70- Which takes a scope better?

I have read multiple posts about the cz 550 American having a wierd drop and not lining up to give a great cheek weld; as well as the bolt swinging too far upwards and interfering with scope placement. On a "truth about guns" review he stated that the weatherby cheekpiece (monte carlo style??) was still too low to properly line up the eyes with the scope. The model 70 I havent heard anything bad about. I wonder if folks could chime in that own these since Im about to "pull the trigger" down at the local wholesale sports on one of these pretty soon and it has come down to this 1 detail between the 3 rifles.

I can't say for rifles I don't have, but I do have the Vanguard S2 with a problem free scope mount. Leupold two-piece base, medium rings, and a Nikon Monarch 3-12X. The bolt is close, but there is suitable clearance.

My Vanguard neither, it's a Leupold VXII, 4x12x40 AO, with Leupold rings and bases. Never have adjusted that scope since sighting it in in Feb 2009, and have fired 200 rnds through it total.
And it cheek welds perfectly for me.;)

The Vanguard takes the Mark X type Weaver and Leupold mounts, the Win. M70 also takes standard mounts, the CZ must have their own, as does Tikka and Sako, etc.

-7-

I've not had any problems with the scope lining up or cheek weld with my Vanguard S2. I used Weaver Grand Slam 2 piece mounts, medium height, and a Zeiss scope.

The CZ 550 American doesn't have the stock problem you are talking about, it has a classic style hunting stock with a straight comb. The 550 Lux and FS have quite a bit of drop at the heel and a hogs back comb to put your eye in alignment for the sights. That is the stock that doesn't scope well unless it is a low power straight tube scope in low mounts.

A lot of the problems people have are from trying to mount a Hubble telescope on top of their rifles and have to use too high of mounts. You might have to different combination of rings and bases to find what is right for your rifle and scope. Some scopes have as well larger eyepieces that cause problems mounting scopes just like the different objective sizes can cause problems. I'd like to know how many different mounting combinations they tried in the review.

Last edited:
I have a CZ 550 American in .30-06 with the factory Kevlar stock ( I believe it was made by HS Precision).
No problem mounting a scope on that stock and it has a cheek rest.

I have mounted a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope with medium Burris Signature ZEE rings and have had no problems.
I was initially concerned that the CZ built in rail mount might not be stable enough for a .30-06 but they turned out to be very stable.

It is just that the CZ mount scope rings are a bit more expensive than the generic Weaver mount rings.

The long action Vanguard uses the same base's as the Remington 700. Both single and two piece. The short action Vanguard will use the same two piece base as the Remington 700 but not the one piece base. This gives you many options for base's. Your base selection affects your ring selection. I try to avoid rifles with limited options.

As for fit there are to many variables. The amount of drop in the stock, size of the scope (ring height), size of your face and head as well as position. All could affect your own personal ability to get proper eye alignment.

Use the gun you like the best and (all three you mention are fine rifles) work out the best solution for you as far as scope mounting goes. You may need higher or lower rings, or maybe a mod to the checkpiece.

Hope this helps.
Dallas Jack

Back