CZ 527 vs Sako 85

PackingDDS

I'm looking at getting a new 204 bolt rifle. I have narrowed it down to a CZ 527 varmint or a sako 85 varmint. I already have several Remingtons in different configurations, so please spare me the buy a remington posts. I just looking for the pros and cons of each from experienced riflemen. I'll get the laminated stock for the Sako or the Kevlar stock for the CZ. Thanks for the input.

Never had a cz. I have a 85 hunter thought and sako lives up to their name. I've never shot above 1 MOA. Bolt is the smoothest bolt i've ever operated on. Seriously it's beautiful. I've held the cz kevlar varmint in .223 and i thought that gun was a little to heavy. I do like CZ though.

Last edited:
I've been very pleased with my CZ 527 Varmint w/H-S Precision Kevlar stock and standard/set adjustable trigger. Reliable and accurate. That said, can't go wrong with a Sako either. :)

CZ 527 .223 Cal. Varmint Kevlar w/Weaver 6-20x40mm AO Grand Slam Riflescope and CZ Rings, Medium (.555").

cz527_02.jpg

Like EAJ stated they are both very very reliable and accurate firearm companies. It will all come down to price and your personal preference really.

My vote goes to the CZ because that is what I have and don't have a basis for comparison with a Sako.

Never had a cz. I have a 85 hunter thought and sako lives up to their name. I've never shot above 1 MOA. Bolt is the smoothest bolt i've ever operated on. Seriously it's beautiful. I've held the cz kevlar varmint in .223 and i thought that gun was a little to heavy. I do like CZ though.

+1 on Sako's action. The bolt on my model 75 feels like it is on ball bearings. I love my Sako.

I do not know the Sako or Tikka

... but I do know the CZ527. I really like mine, although mine is a 223. It has a tiny action and is relatively smooth. The set trigger is a nice feature, tho I don't use the set trigger all that often. It is as accurate as I can shoot it, but then I only use a 6x scope 'cuz I can't hold more than 7x magnification off shooting sticks. I do not have any issues shooting to 600 or so on prairie dogs.

The 204 is a remarkable round. One of my buddies has a Savage in 204. Once on the prairie dog fields I was standing behind him maybe 40 yards, as he popped a prairie dog at maybe 100 yards or so. I saw the bullet impact before I heard the report from his rifle. THAT is a fast bullet!

It took him awhile, but he now reloads for the round and is quite happy with his results.

I also own a handful of CZ's. Not a thing wrong with them. I was just thinking that the Tikka would be a cheaper price route to go than the Sako. Price more comparable to the CZ.

Back