CZ 527 Scope Ring Issues

SMITTY70

Inactive
I have a CZ 527 carbine that I've wanted to scope. HAS ANYBODY ELSE HAD A PROBLEM GETTING A CZ 527 SCOPED OUT? By the way, my scope is a Vari X-III Leupold 1.5-5X20.

I went to Cabela's for rings and picked up Leupold Medium CZ 527 rings. They didn't work, two rear rings were in the package (and the other one didn't even sit rite on the rear base). Second trip, go back to Cabela's and get exchanged for the remaining package of Leupold CZ 527 rings and they didn't work either. The ring for the rear base fit better, but the ring for the front base is too wide by like and 1/8 of an inch and just slides off. What junk! I am not happy with Leupold over this.
What to do?
I guess I should have just called CZ-USA and got the factory rings (only sold in high).
SMITTY70

That's one of the few things that I don't like about CZs. Scoping them is a PIA! And the excessively long bolt throw forces you to mount the scope way too high.

Is yours a 1" scope? I have 1" medium Warne rings which I am not using since I mounted a 30mm scope. They worked really well for me for several years.

If you PM me with an address, I'll pack 'em up and ship 'em to you. Just send me back whatever the shipping amount is.

Send me your particulars via PM.

Oh. BTW, you will want to have your bolt handle recontoured so that the ocular lens bell will clear the bolt handle. It cost me $25 at Hickman Rifles. It is better than finding high rings, which make shooting your rifle much less enjoyable.

:)

I've always put Burris/CZ rings on my CZ's (527,550, & 611) w/o any issues whatsoever.

Besides which, they're about half the price of the CZ issue rings.

I buy online, from a discount optics dealer: www.swfa.com

Burris Rings

Question for PetahW -

Was there any bolt interference with the Burris rings?
Any other clearance problems?

I just bought a 527 carbine but haven't ordered the scope and rings yet.

Thanks,

Myron

I'm interested to hear the answers to these questions too and how the situation can be comfortably fixed.

Also, in reference to clearing the bolt handle - how much higher than standard are we saying the scope needs to be to clear? Or does the milling of the bolt handle cure the need for a higher than optimal mounting?

Cheers,

I'm not familiar with the carbine, but do own a CZ 527 .223 Cal. Varmint Kevlar rifle, and use the following configuration.

Receiver dovetail: 16mm
Weaver 6-20x40mm AO Grand Slam Riflescope w/ Butler Creek FO Covers
CZ Rings, Medium (.555"). (CZ only carries one size ring.)

Some CZ owners purchase James Calhoun's modified bolt for addtional clearance however I didn't find it was necessary with my set up.

cz527_02.jpg

I own two CZ 527 rifles and have scoped several for other guys. Have always used the CZ rings that come with the rifle and have never had a problem. I do use the scope alignment bars and the honing bar.

[Was there any bolt interference with the Burris rings?]
[Any other clearance problems?]

As posted, no issues. ( CZ-527Lux Hornet, Leupy Compact 2-7x28mm )

CZ-Hornet.jpg

Still having issues with the 527 rings.

A guy on here, stubbicatt sent me some Warne medium rings. Thanks for the effort, but they didn't work out for me. Thanks for the effort, I'll get them back in the mail to you before this week is over.

My rifle is a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62X39 (with iron sites) and my scope is a Leupold Vari X-III 1.5-5X20. The Warne rings did fit much better than the two sets of Leupold 527 rings that I tried out.

Two issues with the Warne rings:
First the rings still were short enough that on a lower power setting on my glass (like 1.5 to nearly 3 power) I could still see the outline of the front site hood in the optic. I'm going to have to use Warne high rings or factory CZ rings.
Secondly there is the bolt handle issue, it needs to be bent if a guy is going to use a medium set of rings. The blolt handle will smack right up against the rear bell (rear objective) of the scope. I guess there is a reason that CZ only produces high 527 rings, as low's would never work and medium rings would require a mod. to the bolt handle.
I do think the 527 Carbine in 7.62X39 is a great little rifle and would keep it even if I couldn't scope it out.
Thanks for everybodies help.
SMITTY70

It's quite common, with ANY rings, to see the front sight at the lower end of a scope's power range - because that's where it remains in focus.
It cannot be seen at the higher end because it's then out of focus.

Most shooters simply get used to it being there, as it's only a distraction when first encountered.
A big help would be to remove the front sight hood - something I've done with every rifle I've owned since 1963.

I know the thread is necrotic at this stage

but I just got my cz527 (now I know how you americans feel with ATF waiting times, I had to wait for a license in TWO countries!) ordered it back in January so been waiting a long time

if possible I want to retain the ironsights and have QR rings

what to chose?

either a 8x56 zeiss

or a vortex crssfire 6-18x44

what rings should I use?

I have two 527's, both have the dip bases, one has a leupold 6x target dot, and the other has a 8x32x56 sightron, the dip bases and low bolt handles are your friends. The older 527's had bolt handles that would give interference with eyepieces if mounted low, I think the newer ones may have the redisigned bolt handles.
Low bolt handle on this one

0106171514.jpg

This one is in burris signature rings.

0106171511.jpg

Last edited:
Warne has a ring ap, you should always use that.

You put in your rifle, the objective size and it tells you what ones work.

CZ rings are very costly.

Warne are very reasonable and Sportsman's is the most reasonable on them.

yeah I knew about the warne but figured that there was a cheaper option:D

there wasn't:mad:

be sure to check the length of your scope to if you plan to keep the iron sights

gotta pick one not much over 30cms

great rifle thou, I was hitting clay pidgeons out to 140m with the irons today (from a bench)

Back