CZ 527 help

kst8fan

Decided I am going to get a CZ rifle in 223 for my next purchase. Problem is I like several 527 models. I like the carbine, 527 American, and the Varmint rifle. The carbine and the American models have a 1:12 rate of twist, and the varmint has a 1:9 rate of twist. The most common ammo I am finding is 55 gr. I guess what I am asking are 55 gr bullets accurate in a 1:12 barrel or is the 1:9 better? The varmint barrel is 24 inches, where the American model is 21.9, and the carbine 18.5. More than likely I will be buying the Carbine or the 527 American. Just wanting to know which of these rifles work best with a 55 gr bullet.

yes 55gr will work in a 1:12, but it will not really support much more than a 62gr bullet generally.

I've got a Tikka with a 1:8 which I've shot 40gr Vmax bullets accurately.
Go for the 1:9.

I have the 527 Varmint (1:9 as you already know), i shoots a 50, 55,63, 69gr extremely well...i have a load for all those weights that goes easy 1" and often less than .5 moa. 55 gr is one of it's favorites. I have been trying for a long time to get a sub moa group with a 40gr bullet and have yet to get a consistent 1" or less group.

I thoroughly enjoy my 527 carbine in x39. Light, handy, quick handling. Had some quirks but I got them sorted out.

Don't be surprised if it doesn't light off Wolf primers. Mine won't, despite CZ sending me a new spring.

What do you plan to do with the rifle most of the time? That's a good place to start.

I have both the American and the Varmint. For walking around quite a bit with the rifle- the Varmint is going to get a little heavy. For sticking to one spot, truck bed rail, or a bench- it's fine. For poking in and out of a pickup window on farm and ranch areas- the American makes for a very nice truck gun (that's what I end up taking out the most such as today on a p-dog trip). The American also carries a lot easier and farther without weighing you down, it also has sling swivels. However, a lot of photos I've seen of Varmint models show sling studs, but mine does not even have the holes.

I don't have the carbine, however it does look light and handy. I believe they also have iron sights(?) if that tickles your fancy. In my thought processes, the shorter bbl has a few drawbacks. One is a loss of velocity, however it might not ever be enough for a casual shooter to notice. The other thing is again a personal thing, but I like to be further away from the noisy end of rifles when they go off. You as the shooter might not notice a whole lot of extra noise from a short bbl- but anyone shooting close to you will notice a little. I don't know if I'm articulating those points all that well- but like I said, they're just my thoughts.

Anyway, decide which model/length/weight will serve your purposes the best.

CZ 527 wich one

My son and I truly think the sun rises and sets on cz 527 rifles. We have all three modles and each one is great our 223 is the heavy barreled kavlar stock and it really likes 52gr bthp match from serria , speer, and hordany. it also likes 50 & 55gr v-maxes very well. But i really think the little rifle all tho shoots all of these sub 1in at a 100yrds, seems to prefer the 52gr A-max sub 1/2 inc most of the time if I do my part. We shoot a 527 in a hornet, 17rem,and 762x39 and we are very satified. The 527 CZ is a joy to shoot in any of its models. I belive you will be pleased with any choice you make. Get the one you like,good luck with your rifle. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours. ken

I have the Kevlar Varmint version. Shoots VERY well. It does have the 1:9 twist, but still prefers bullets under 62 grains. I really like the little carbine design too, kind of depends on whether you anticipate hiking around with it or more of a range gun. I'll never sell mine though. Shoots under an inch even with cheap ammo.

I like my 527 American with it's 1 in 12 twist. It has no issues when shooting 55 grain fodder. 45-50 grain shoots a bit tighter off the bench though. I own a couple of ARs that are 1 in 9 twist rate. I use them if a heavier bullet is needed. I prefer the wood and blued CZ though. They are a great looking great shooting rifle. My favorite C bolt action is the 550 Full Stock in .308. It has iron sights as well as being scope ready and the stock is just plain outright beautiful.

I have the Kevlar Varmint version. Shoots VERY well. It does have the 1:9 twist, but still prefers bullets under 62 grains.

+1 :)

cz527_02.jpg

Back