CZ 527 FS .222, .22 Hornet or 5.56 mm?

n55bz

Inactive
I bought a CZ 492 FS and was so impressed with it I bought a 550 FS in .308 with a Meopta scope and was really impressed. I have decided to buy a 527 FS and put a Leupold 2-7 VX II scope on it. My original decision was for it to be in .22 Hornet. I have two Hornets and like the caliber- it is fun to shoot but you have to be careful reloading not to damage the cases. I have a .222 and like it also- it is a real tack driver and easy to reload- in fact I just neck size the brass and it just goes on forever. I don't have a .223/ 5.56 mm so I started thinking that maybe I should rethink my decision. Maybe the .223/ 5.56 mm would be the way to go and then what is wrong with the .222?

Anyway I would appreciate any constructive suggestions in the choice of caliber and also the scope.

Kindest regards,

Bill

You meant 452 FS right?

Since you already have a 222 and a few Hornets I think it’s kind of a no brainer to go with the 223. I'd stay with a medium powered variable with 3-9 being the largest. Not being a target rifle I think going any bigger than that kind of upsets the balance of the rifle and its intended use.

J.

If you have to choose get the 5.56, cheap ammo, shoots fast, and all around fun. I have a 22 hornet and i love the d@mn thing but a 250 yard shot is pushing it. Fun as hell to play around with though. I've shot a hawk and crane with it and it left 3 inch exit wounds in them. Downside to the hornet is ammo is extremely expensive. And i can't say much on the .222, really haven't looked into it. You might want to consider a 22-250 fun gun to shoot also, just throwing it out there.

Oh in the case 5.56 has my pick as it's easier and i would imagine less expensive to find ammo than the other two.

Back