CZ 527 Carbine in .223 - looking for scope advice

rfleming

Inactive
Yesterday I used my "economic Stimulus Payment" (read my own money that the govt. decided it would return) to buy a CZ 527 Carbine in .223. I have been drooling over this gun since at least 2004. I had originally wanted one in 7.62x39 but when I went to the store they had two, one in 7.62x39 with CZ rings for $590 and one in .223 without the rings for $449. Needless to say I bought the .223!

I had the chance to run 40 rounds through it and it is a real sweet handling and shooting rifle. No regrets.

However, as good as the sights are, which is pretty stinking good for irons I think I want to slap some glass on it. I would like to know any opinions for a 4x or 6x, fixed power scope with a classic German reticle on it. I would love to go with something European in keeping with the rifle but I am not sure I can afford it. My budget is probably $350-$400 MAX, I would love to keep it under $250. I am looking for a scope that is compact and will be keeping with the rifle.

I did find this scope here but I have dubious reports a to the quality of Kalinka/Russian optics.

Thanks,

-Rob

It is rather difficult to find a good scope with a German reticle in that price range. My CZ 527 left hand has a Leupold FXIII 6X42 scope on it. This scope is great in low light. Retail is about $370.

A few months ago I ran into some German guys who were hog hunting in OK. All of them had that Leupold FXIII scope on their guns. Asked them why and they said that a comparable German scope would cost 2-3 times as much as the Leupold.

I havea little M8 Leupold on mine. I must say I have a preference for 6x on .222 and .223 firearms.

Some of the 7.62x39 models are nothing but trouble in that they won't chamber commercial american ammo. I originally had one like that and Winchester Australia, the CZ agents here swopped mine under warranty. S you may have been doubly lucky.

Scope

Get an older Lyman scope, many are very classy looking and the few I have owned had German post and cross reticles, the ones to look for are All-American and Perma-Center, usually run right around $200 for really nice condition, very very good vintage glass;)

Back