CZ 527 carbine, a work in progress.

armoredman

I was very fortunate to aquire a new CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39mm. I posted a few pics and range pics on other boards, thought I might share some here.
Now, I still haven't found the adjustable rear iron sight for it, so it sits with a cheap Simmons 3-9x40 scope on it. I have nothing agaist this scope, it seems to work just fine.

I took it out a few days ago to the short 80 yard range to sight it in, and got this from cold boresight,

Then started adjusting the scope as I worked my way back to 75 yards, which was really as far as I could go that day.

And this group, that IS a 3 shot group at 75 yards.

Well, today I made it out again, and this time was early enough to set up on the long range we have, to sight in at 100, and then go for the gusto with this little carbine at 200, and the round they say is too inaccurate to hit at 200 yards.:cool:

First things first, warm up and sight in at 100 yards. Not too bad!

No, it's not MOA, that group measures 1 and 1/16 inch, so I can't claim MOA. The others at 100 were similar, nothing spectacular. Adjust right two clicks and be happy.

So, here, we go...go for broke...200 yards...and.....

Ya know, there is this weird thing called bullet drop? I had forgotten. I had nicks in the bottom of the target, as my load showed a drop of almost 5 inches at 200 yards. Great Caeser's Ghost, that's a rainbow! :eek:
OK, start adjusting scope up, (wrote down how many clicks so I could put it back to 100), and here's what we got.

Right before last adjustment,

I can live with it, 2 3/4 inch group. Move scope up on last target, btw, the patched holes are from 100 yard sight in.

We have room to grow in, that's for certain, 3 inches right there. Also made an important discovery - the CZ 527 does NOT like Fiocchi brass! I have a bunch of Winchester brass I worked on last night, full case prep like I don't normally do with rounds for the vz-58, and I am gonna start working some new loads up, see if I can tighten that up a skosh or two. The range was starting to fill up, so I packed up and left. :(
CZ-527M carbine, 7.62x39mm - I like it. :cool:

Last edited:
What a neat little carbine

I think that little rifle is just swell. Over at the sister forum, The High Road, Krochus has built a x39 rifle that is a real sweetheart, capable of extreme accuracy. I do not know what his recipes are for his handloads, but you might drop him a P.M. and find out. Save you a little "reinventing" of the wheel, so to speak.

What's the bullet diameter you're using?

I have one as well, almost hate putting the scope on it as the iron sights are so much fun to use.

chris, I bought it for the irons, as an "escapers" or backpacking camp rifle...but the rear sight came unstaked the first time I took it out. I will get it put back on, no problem, but I wanted to shoot it...so I bought a cheap scope. I still think this is a great backpacking rifle, if I could get A) the adjustable iron rear sight, and B) a poly stock that holds one or two spare mags.
krochus has been talking to me, was seems to be amazed the carbine would do that well with FMJ, so I will be loading up some SP loads for next trip, starting to experiment.:)

Armoredman; when you say the rear sight became unstaked, is it now loose in the dovetail? I have a CZ 527 carbine in 223 that needs the rear sight just tweaked a small amount to adjust for windage. So if I just move it a little bit will it become loose, and have to be restaked? I'm not sure I understand CZ's technique for securing the rear sight after moving it.

Try some different loads and you might just find the groups will close up for you. CZ makes a fine rifle and having iron sights is a big plus in this age of scoped only hunting rifles. I own 4 CZs and wouldn't hesitate getting another. I happen to like a wooden stock. Enjoy!

The iron sight came completely loose, and is now sitting on a table.
I did build some new loads to try, when I get back out to the range this week. I want the irons to be sighted in for 100 yards, so I could use it without scope - just hold 6 inches over at 200. :)
I am looking forward to experimenting with a bunch of different handloads for this carbine, it is just too much fun to shoot!:cool:

I like it! Old rule of thumb: 2" high @ 100, on @ 200. I don't do 300 but figure +/-10" below POA. I guess the 7.62 X 39 is kinda like our .30-30. Nobody has any idea of it's accuracy potential because most rifles chambered for it are terribly accurate.

Accuracy of CZ527 in 7.62x39

I have one with a Weaver K4 on it.

Have not touched the stock, but with Lapua or Remington brass using .311 bullets and H4198 or IMR 4227 powder it is a 1 MOA rifle all day long. This with 125 gr Lapua or Sierra .311 bullets - but .310 or smaller bullets produce larger groups.

Also, this rifle seems to have a slightly 'tight' chamber and I have to resize some types of brass (virgin Lapua) before handloading.

The quality and accuracy of these little carbines is exceptional IMHO. I had planned to bed it but it shoots so well I'm not going to bother with it.

Back