CZ 527 carbine 7.62x39

kst8fan

Was thinking of buying this for my daughter as she will be taking hunters safety this fall. I have taken her deer hunting with me the last several years and I think she is ready for her own gun. She is turning 12 this year and is kinda small which is why Im looking at the carbine model. Any thoughts on this gun? I think the 527 American would be a fine gun but would be too large and 223 not legal for Ks deer hunting. Let me know what you think. Hopefully the 7.62x39 wont be too much for her.

A hunting buddy's daughter has the same rifle in that caliber, and she's been using it since she was 11. She's grown some as she is now 18, but she's only 5'3". She only uses commercial 7.62x39 ammo and has taken deer every season without losing one. She's very happy with the rifle and recoil has never been a problem.

good starter

A 7.62x39 bolt rifle will be a great starter whitetail rifle. I bought a Ruger 77mkII so chambered for bamaboy and between us we have killed a number of deer with it. Recoil will likely not be an issue, though that varies shooter to shooter. Comparitively, I'd say a x39 bolt kicks less than an equal weight .243, or 30-30, though a bit more than a .223, but not much more. We shoot my reloads, or WW 125 factory stuff.

Near 30-30 power in an action not nearly as complicated as a lever carbine.
Easliy scoped with a simpe, straight forward safety.

ksc8fan:

Cannot say enough nice things about the CZ 527 in 7.62x39. The grandkids call mine "The Little Russian". The rifle is light, handles well, functions smoothly, has ample power, and is incredibly accurate. Oh, did I mention it has a really great single set trigger that your daughter will learn to really love. Look out Dad, she will give you a run for your money with a CZ.

The Russian ammo labeled "Silver Bear" with hollow point bullets will hold a 1.5" group at 100 yards in my CZ. You can get it from Cheaper than Dirt for less than $150 for 500 rounds.

Want to spend more for ammo? You can handload Hornady 123 gr SPs ahead of 27 gr of Reloader 7 for a few bucks more and cut your group size down to 3/4" at 100 yards. This is with my CZ 527 topped with a Leupold 2.5x8 in CZ rings. It had consumed around 2000 rounds without any problems.

This a great way to introduce a young person to a real deer rifle that they can handle [it's under 6 pounds] and will not hurt them. Originally, I bought my CZ for the grandkids. They use it a lot. But, it is such a fun gun to shoot and the ammo is so cheap, that I find myself shooting it more that any other rifle here. We take turns shooting a 6" gong at 100 yards offhand. My 12 year old granddaughter gets upset with herself if she misses. And she does not miss often.

It is a shame that American makers do not have a bolt action sized down for the .223 / 7.62x39 size cartridges. The small size of the CZ helps youngsters get comefortable shooting it. You have chosen the very nicest rifle for your girl.

nice

Hardbawl,

That is a great post and mimics my experience with the x39 and a bolt carbine. Our Ruger has a 20" tube and a synthetic stock and is easy for youth to manage a well. It wears a Leu 2-7x x32 and I figure it the near ideal youth/boys rifle.

I do not shoot the import ammo through mine however. My favorite slug WAS the Sierra SSP 135fgr - .308, unfortunately discontinued. I am in search for a .30 cal 130-135 gr slug to replace it.

If I rifle hunt, and the terrain and cover allow it, the x39 bolt is often in my hands. Biggest whitetail I likely will ever kill was taken at 19 yds with an x39 bolt carbine.

I have a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 with a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 scope mounted in Talley rings. It will shoot sub-moa out to 200yds. with Fed.123gr SP's. Loaded, with scope ready to hunt It only weighs 7lb. Very high build quality. Even with cheap steel case ammo I can still get 1"- 1.5" at 100yds. And the SS trigger is one of the best you can get on a production rifle. This would be a great rifle for your daughter or anybody else. It is flatout a gem of a little rifle that does It all very well. The best kept secret in the rifle world.
CZ527Fed123gr5-15-2012001.jpg

Back