CZ 527 Carbine 7.62x39 results

nuclearmeltdown

After 6 or 7 years of wanting one of these, I finally found a fair price on a used one and got to take it out to the range yesterday. I paid $500 with included Burris rings, 60 rounds of Winchester CXP3 soft points, and 32 rounds of S&B brass-cased soft points. I shot first with open sights, and then with an old Weaver K2.5 steel-tube scope.

First of all, let me say how pleased I am with the weight and handling. Bathroom scale says 5.6 pounds unloaded and without scope, but the steel-tube scope and rings seemed to add a bit of weight and definitely changed the balance.

STP62545.JPG

Ammunition was Wolf FMJ that I picked up from Midway in December 2004 (for $1.60/box plus shipping -- 8 cents per round!). My used rifle came with some S&B and Winchester soft-points, but I tried the Wolf first and was pleased enough with it that I'll save the nicer stuff for hunting or making water jugs explode.

First shots were at 50 yards with the iron sights. Five shots:

STP62537.JPG

For size reference, it's on a sheet of standard office paper.

Next were three shots with open sights at 100 yards on an Outers target:

STP62538.JPG

Iron sights seem to hit a hair low and to the right, but this was with only one ammunition type. Previous owner said the ammunition he tried hit to point of aim.

Satisfied with the open sights, I went on to mount the scope. The rings, which came to me with the used rifle, are unmarked but seem to be Burris brand. They were easy to mount to the integral bases with a supplied Allen wrench, and the rings held the scope using Torx screws. It may have been simpler, though, to use either Allen or Torx instead of both. Scope is an El Paso Weaver K2.5 that I got about five years ago at a flea market for $20 and never used until now. See my next post below for the sight picture at 100 yards.

The low magnification makes precision aiming more difficult than, say, a 3-9x40, but I think this scope is more appropriate for the rifle. Furthermore, I didn't have any issues with bolt handle clearance like some others have had. I couldn't say what height the rings are, though, because no packaging came with them.

Another thing to mention with this scope is how much eye relief it has. I tried setting it into the bottom half the rings with the adjustment knobs between the rings, but my eye was much too close. As seen in the first picture, my adjustment knobs are forward of the front ring. As it is, my eye lines up perfectly each time. Just not what I'm used to. I assume it's because the receiver is so short, combined with relatively long eye relief.

Anyway, after getting on paper at 25 yards, adjustment was easy at 100 yards. Adjustment clicks were 1" at 100 yards, which made counting easy. My 100 yard group came out like this:

STP62549.JPG

It must be noted that I could hardly see the square Sharpie box I was shooting into. It was more like lining up between the bottom of the bull and the words at the bottom of the target. Not so bad, though. If I had a more visible target, it may have improved a bit. I was happy with this group and moved out to 200 yards for three shots:

STP62548.JPG

The three shots at 200 yards are the ones with triangles around them. I was VERY pleased with this accuracy, especially from Wolf. I only tried this once, though, so whether it is repeatable is yet to be known.

It's interesting to find that some people do very well with Wolf in these rifles, while others get four or five inch groups with it. Mine seems to do well, and hopefully current-production Wolf does as well (this ammunition is almost six years old). I did have one issue with my Wolf ammo, though:

STP62546.JPG

On this shot, I just heard a "click" of the firing pin. I ejected the round after a 30 second wait and saw no primer in it. A while later, I found the indented primer on the shooting bench. Not sure what was going on here, but the primer appears (it was blackened) to have been ignited, even if I didn't hear it. None of the powder ignited, and the bullet was still in the case. Strange.

Overall, though, I'm very happy with the rifle. It seems to shoot pretty well. The scope is a bit heavy and throws off the balance a bit, but I think it will be durable and certainly makes shooting past 100 yards easier. Plus, it can be removed in a second with an Allen wrench. I can recommend this rifle to prospective buyers.

Nice pick-up. I always liked these and think they are a great hunting gun for the woods for hogs and deer and such. I wanted one for a while then sold my 7.63x39 guns. Currently I am trying to limit my various cartridges. I think this rifle is a great compliment to someone with an AK or SKS.

Pinetree, that's actually part of the reason I always wanted one of these. I am a former SKS and AK owner, but I kept my ammunition when I sold and traded the rifles. I had around 200 rounds left, which obviously meant I had to get a new rifle to use it up.

What a beautiful spot to shoot. How's the fit and finish of the 527? I've been eye-balling some of the full stock rifles CZ has out but I've heard the finish on some of the newer rifles can be hit and miss.

How's the fit and finish of the 527? I've been eye-balling some of the full stock rifles CZ has out but I've heard the finish on some of the newer rifles can be hit and miss.

I own a newer 550 full stock in .308. The fit and finish is top notch.

Nice shooting OP. I went with a 527 American in .223. The 7.62x39 was tempting, but in the end the .223 was a better fit for its intended use. CZ build a great rifle.

fisherman, this one is marked 527M, but I'm not sure how old it is. The fit and finish is great, though. Checkering is well done, bolt works smoothly. I don't know if it took long to break in, but I'm told it has less than 100 rounds through it.

I looked at newer 452s and 550s and was impressed. There's a 550 American in 6.5x55 that's really nicely put together. If I had cash to burn, I would own it already.

NWCP and NMD,

Thanks for the feedback per finish. I have no doubt they shoot, but I'm a little afraid to pull the trigger on a new one sight unseen. Perhaps I will find one I can examine prior to buying in the used rack. The 452FS is the preferred one as of right now, but I can always use another larger game rifle ("can use" being the operative phrase as I certainly don't need another).

NMD, tell me a little more about your part of the country. That's about as idyllic a backdrop for shooting as I can imagine.

fisherman, that's a State Game Commission range in central Pennsylvania. Surrounded by miles of woods and completely free to use. If you're ever in PA, the rural areas in the central and south part of the state are really great in spring, summer, and fall. Winter's nice here too if you like brown and gray.

Nuclear I think you did very well. Excellent shooting also. Especialy at 200 yards. I want one of the CZ carbines but can't decide on a 223 or 7x39. I have lots of ammo for both so either one is possible.

I like low powered scopes like your weaver. I have a BSA 2.5x that is 7" long, has 7" of eye relief and weighs 7 ounces. I use it on my Marlin 357 lever action.

One question, are the open sights adjustable on the rifle? The CZ site says they are non adjustable.

They are adjustable, but not in the sense that they have windage and elevation screws. Rather, you hammer the triangle-shaped rear sight side-to-side for windage, and replace the front blade with different heights for elevation.

To make this rifle perfect, I'd like to see CZ offer it with the same sights as their 452 Lux .22, which has a rear that adjusts for windage and elevation. I can't see how "fixed" sights on a rifle like this would ever be a good idea. At least they don't unintentionally go out of adjustment. They're durable and almost hit where aimed (unlike some revolvers I've shot), but I think they should be improved upon. Maybe in the future an aftermarket rear open or even aperture sight will show up and solve the problem. Would be even better if it cost under $50.

+1 on x39 bolt carbine

Don't have a CZ, but do have a Ruger 77 stainless in x39. Great utility rifle, and all the ctg you need for hogs and deer at "woods"ranges. Never have shot import ammo in mine, but .308 dia reloads and USA mfg ammo does about as well as your rifle.

Your work with the K2.5 shows that accuracy (albeit under controlled conditions) is possible w/ low mag scopes at greater than rock throwing distances. I've got an early Ruger .44 mag auto rifle w/ a vintage Redfield 2.5x that has given good service. My std 100 yd target are grocery store bulk pack 9" paper pie plates. The white disk is easy to quarter w/ a black crosshair.

Re: the rifle range, is that the Scotia Range, just outside of State College, in the area known as "the Barrens?" Killed my first whitetail nearby, lo those many years ago!!!!!!!!!

Didn't expect anyone from Alabama on here to know where the Scotia Barrens was, or that they had a PGC range there. Such a nice area. Feels like it's much farther from civilization than it actually is.

I was actually thinking about trying some pie plates on a dark background. Would make it easier to see the hits from a distance too, especially if I get a spotting scope sometime.

I really like the fine crosshair on the Weaver. If it were much larger, I might have trouble getting any kind of precision aiming on anything but the largest bull. I wonder how the scope is at dawn or dusk with such a small objective lens.

I was just saying to myself how nice of a rifle CZ makes for the money. They are hit and miss with the wood. I've seen some that look like table legs, but mine has very nice figure. I bought one in a 204 Ruger a few years back, and I love it. I use that for a carry gun, and have a Cooper VE in a 204 that I use for bench rest shooting, and I'll tell you what that CZ shoots every bit as good as the Cooper.

FWIW I like shooting my 527 more than my Saiga conversion. Light, quick handling, minimal recoil and the iron sights are very easy to use.

CZ USA did send me a new firing pin spring because the one it came with wasn't igniting Wolf very reliably. It's still not 100% but better.

If your gun has issues feeding, the factory mags have a machining flaw that jacks up the mag follower. Take it apart, file down a spot on the inside where that hole is in the mag. The rounds won't hang up anymore. ;)

I was out shooting again today and thought I would post some results here again. I shot with the same Wolf ammunition (FMJ in black boxes). I shot with the scope and then took it off to see how I would do with the open sights.

I was pleasantly surprised. Somehow I did better with the open sights than with the 2.5 power scope. The first group hit right at point-of-aim at 1 3/8" center-to-center. To make sure it wasn't an accident, I tried it again and got a 2 1/2" group. Here are the two groups overlapping:

STP63011.JPG

I'm surprised to see factory-adjust sights actually hit where they're pointed at 100 yards. This almost never happens for me. Guess I have shot too many old Mausers and Mosin Nagants that can literally be feet out of adjustment -- usually high so it can't be corrected without a new front sight:p.

Next time, I will put the scope back on and see how well it holds its zero. I'd also like to try a 4x or 6x scope sometime, but the old Weaver and open sights are working well for now.

I get the same thing, something about those iron sights just puts it where you aim. For the heck of it I fired at something 300 yards away and was floored to see I hit it without any holdover.

I would dearly love to have that front sight shape on my handguns.

I get the same thing, something about those iron sights just puts it where you aim. For the heck of it I fired at something 300 yards away and was floored to see I hit it without any holdover.

I would dearly love to have that front sight shape on my handguns.

The CZ 527 does have a unique (to me) front sight, does anyone know what this style sight is called and how to use it. I think I have heard it referred to as a barley corn sight.

I don't know if I need to get another height front site or if I am just not using it right. IIRC the front site has a blade with a ball on top and the rear is a square notch. To get mine to hit zero @ 100 yards I put the blade in the notch, so that the ball is on top of the notch and have the ball covering the target. So it is like lining up the blade and notch but the ball on top covers your target instead of having it split the target, should the top of the ball split the target? If so I need a lower front sight.

I have a 527M in 7.62x39mm, and it is awesome. I get 2 3/4 to 3 inch groups at 200 yards with handloads, but there is some good bullet drop out there. :)
I want to get a Redfield 2-7 sdcope for it eventually, as that would be the best adjustable for this caliber/rifle.
As for the rear sight, you have NO idea how many people I have gone to trying to get an adjustable rear sight for this carbine, NOBODY makes one. NEGC is supposedly making an adjustable peep, but other than some teasers, no solid info, and they don't answer e-mails, yet. This is such a great light rifle it begs for an adjustable rear sight, and be used with irons most of the time.l

Back