CZ 527 7.62x39mm

FyredUp

I was in my local gun store yesterday and they have a used CZ 527 in 7.62x39mm. Sweet little bolt gun. It felt good in my hands and it came with a Leupold scope and 3 mags.

The asking price was $759.00.

Good deal or not? Good rifle or not?

I've got a 527 in .223 Rem., but not the carbine, the longer version (Lux). I love that rifle. IMHO the price is OK with the Leupold scope mounted.

But here comes a word of warning: if you plan to use a cheap surplus ammo with steel (magnetic) jacket - not case, the bullet jacket which is in contact with bore - you will hurt the gun. Typical AK ammo like that is expected to be used in AK which has a hardchromed barrel, and kills any normal bore even if it uses non-corrosive primes.
I hear that the new Wolf (Barnaul) ammo is better than before and that they are using some very soft steel for the jackets, but I personaly do not dare to use the cheapest stuff in my gun anyway.

So, the rifle is a great handy gun and sweet to shoot, but if you want it solely because you can buy the cheap ammo, it's not the best idea.

What model is the Leupold that comes with it?

...steel (magnetic) jacket - not case, the bullet jacket which is in contact with bore - you will hurt the gun.

That's odd. CZ test-fires their 7.62x39 rifles with steel-jacketed S&B ammunition, so I guess they must be set on ruining all their rifles.:rolleyes:

Copper plated mild steel jackets are fine. Chrome provides resistance to corrosion when using corrosive ammo, but a steel barrel does not need protection from plated, mild steel jackets.

CZ test-fires their 7.62x39 rifles with steel-jacketed S&B ammunition

ZOMG I NEVER knew that SB uses a steel jackets! Now I grabbed SB .223 Rem hunting round and a magnet and hell yes, it IS magnetic. So you think that the new Barnaul round would be OK?

...oddly enough, just did the same test with SB 9x19 Luger subsonic pistol round and it was not magnetic. Funny.

So with a good scope what could I expect a practical range would be for this rifle for deer hunting? I guess I am looking for something in the 100 to 300 yard range.

Thanks for the comments so far.

I would say that you'd be good out to 200 hundred yards without much trouble. I think 300 might be pushing it a bit simply because the bullet drops like a rock after 200 yards. With lots of practice maybe you could do it at 300 yards under favorable conditions. I don't know. I think its up to you to decide what is an ethical shot or not. You should still have the power to take down a deer at that range with a well placed shot, but you've got to worry about at least a foot and a half of drop I think.

Krochus has shown that handloads will make it a 1.5 MOA gun, if not less.

IIRC you won't find metal jacketed pistol rounds, just the rifle ones. Not sure why.

FWIW new 527 x39's go for about $600.

chris in va:

FWIW new 527 x39's go for about $600.

Where?

The MSRP on the CZ-USA sight for the 527 Carbine is $727.00 without the scope.

There is one on GunBroker.com for $604.00. Again with no scope.

If you know where I can get a brand new, in the box, CZ 527 for $600 I would appreciate it very much.

Back