CZ 527 6.5mm Grendel

kiwicrusaders

I have just visited the CZ USA website http://www.cz-usa.com/, and they are running a poll on what they should chamber their mini mauser (527) in next. At this stage the 6.5mm Grendel is winning hands down.

What excites me most about this propostion is the 527 Varmint Kevlar http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=13 in this offering. Would be a real tack driver with good stopping power and decent enough to take hunting as well.

The only problem ... no ammunition outside of the US, aaah bugger guess you can't have it all ! What do you guys think?

I'd take the Grendel if it sold in the same price range as the other chamberings. I'm pretty sure it is a proprietary cartridge, and CZ would have to pay royalties, so the likelihood of the factory producing that version seems remote.

That said, I'd love on in the FS version. Just really neat rifles.

What are all those other calibers? What is that?
6.5 G is the only one even worth thinking about.

How about a 527 in 5.7x28mm? .22 Hornet ballistics, at half the price for ammo... it would be PERFECT for fur hunting.

How about a 527 in 5.4 Russian? Cheap, cheap, cheap to shoot!

Or a 537 in 9mm, .40, or .45?

How about a 527 in .300 Whisper?

.20 Tactical? .223 AI? WTF are they thinking over there at CZ? Have they lost their minds? Where are you going to find that kinda stuff on a gunstore shelf? People are already getting 527's converted to 6.5G. I fact, I was going to order another 527 Carbine, just for this conversion. Look, I'm a huge fan of CZ, but if they are even having to think about this one, they are not as smart as they think they are. The 6.5 would put the 527 deep into Light Intermediate Rifle territory currently occupied by the Remington Model 7. That's a nice area to be in, right there. A light rifle capable of taking down big game at long range? Deer at 400 to 600 yards? In a rifle that has less heft than the sunday paper? I'm all over that.

I'd like to see the 527 Carbine in 6.5G, Kevlar stock, and with a weather resistant coating.

Hornet: At the muzze its faster but it drops to below 2300 at 100 yards... The 5.7 carries a lot better making it a closer race down range a bit.
This makes it about ideal for Fox and Bobcat and such. Especially with the nice Hornady V-Max bullet, which you can get a box of 50 rounds for almost the same price as a box of cheap .223 FMJ's.
I totally want a light bolt action in that caliber and the 527 is my first choice.
But to make the 527 in a heavier caliber like the 6.5G, it will need better bedding... no question about that. 7.62x39 already rocks the heck out of it.

Oh - one last thing for me on this topic here today.
The scope bases.
For the love of all that is holy - CZ, get rid of that retarded off sized scope base and go to a standard weaver type base. Seriously. Your rings suck. And the aftermarket Millet rings suck worse. If you go to a standard Weaver style - people like me will really appreciate that and your guns will be more popular.

kiwicrusaders I have just visited the CZ USA website [url said:
http://www.cz-usa.com/[/url], and they are running a poll on what they should chamber their mini mauser (527) in next. At this stage the 6.5mm Grendel is winning hands down.

What excites me most about this propostion is the 527 Varmint Kevlar http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=13 in this offering. Would be a real tack driver with good stopping power and decent enough to take hunting as well.

The only problem ... no ammunition outside of the US, aaah bugger guess you can't have it all ! What do you guys think?

Whats the 6.5mm grendal? I was planning on getting the cz 527 kevlar in .223. But im obessessed with any 6.5 caliber. I have a .260 coming on the way. I'm guessing the grendel is like a 6.5 made into more of a varmint type round?

Well did some research on it seems to be a military round but, for it's purpose don't they have the 6.8 SPC? If they are trying to get the 6.5 grendal to replace the .223 thats going to be difficult. Never heard of the 6.5 G till now, known about the 6.8spc for almost a year and a half.

Still though if your right kiwi might have to pick one up for varminting, especially it it's as cheap as the cz 527 kevlar .223. Found one brand new at sportsmans warehouse for 530$.

I ust admit I absolutely love that rifle, went into a shop and picked one up and it was love at first sight ! The only problem ... the niggest calibre was a 223.

Although excited by teh 6.5mm grendel prospect, it does not help my cause because there is no way that that ammo will be available in New Zealand.

Come on CZ... any chance of a .243 or equivalent that is reaily available

kiwicrusaders said:
I ust admit I absolutely love that rifle, went into a shop and picked one up and it was love at first sight ! The only problem ... the niggest calibre was a 223.

Although excited by teh 6.5mm grendel prospect, it does not help my cause because there is no way that that ammo will be available in New Zealand.

Come on CZ... any chance of a .243 or equivalent that is reaily available

well you can always get into reloading. I'm not sure about 6.5 grendel brass. But 6.5 bullets are common all over the world.

I too am a 6.5 grendel fan. I have one of if not the first JP Enterprises CTR-02 in 6.5 Grendel that was made to order. But this is a heavy AR platform rifle with a big bull barrel. I had a chance to buy a custom CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel but I dropped the ball while saving for other projects. The 6.5mm would make a great ultralight deer rifle. I can see it as a superb deer hunting training rifle for a recoil sensitive youngster as well.

+1 for CZ to make this a factory option. I can see many a sale for one with your's truly placing an advanced order. I do agree, though, those bases have to go.

Chrisp0410

Not knowing too much about the 527 platform. Are there any other calibres that would be suitable for this platform (CZ 527 mini mauser) that are bigger and pack a bit more ooomf then the 223.

I agree that the 6.5mm grendel seems to have great balistics, however it is not readily available ... what else could they chamber it in that is reaily available? Anything in the 6mm+?

I have a .260 remington on the way. But im deciding wether or not to get a bolt action varmint rifle or a AR-15 style. A ar-15 style is going to be extremely tempting in 6.5 grendel. If i could find one for like 800 with the long barrel on it i'd be sold. Whish i had the money for this :'(
alex_gdmr.jpg

kiwicrusaders said:
Not knowing too much about the 527 platform. Are there any other calibres that would be suitable for this platform (CZ 527 mini mauser) that are bigger and pack a bit more ooomf then the 223.

I agree that the 6.5mm grendel seems to have great balistics, however it is not readily available ... what else could they chamber it in that is reaily available? Anything in the 6mm+?

Well they have the 7.62x39 but i think thats about as big as it gets for the 527.

Back