CZ 527 .223 Rem at 100 and 200 yards

sirgilligan

I hadn't shot the CZ 527 .223 Rem for quite a while.
So, here are 15 shots.
We were shooting off a rest. Not really good groups but not bad.
Each group was a 5 shot group. Time between shots were just the time to cycle the bolt and find the target again.

American Eagle 55 GR FMJ
Pulled one.
Full group is 2.5".
4 shot without flyer is 0.75".

New%2BFiring%2BSet%2BReport%2B2.png

Then my friend tried it out. Never shot it before.
1.75" group, 5 shots, shots fired as fast as he could cycle and reacquire the target.

New%2BFiring%2BSet%2BReport.png

Then I switched to Blackhills 68 grain and out to 200 yards. With the 12x scope it was not very precise. Again, shooting as fast as I could, we don't like to fool around. :-)
3.5" group. I think that can be tidied up with practice.

New%2BFiring%2BSet%2BReport%2B3.png

My buddy:
IMG_2305.JPG

Great groups for factory ammo. My wife shoots a 527 .223 and she had similar results with the box ammo. However, with her hand loads of 27 grains of CFE223 and 55 grain Sierra bullets it shoots one ragged hole 5 shot groups .45" groups. All the CZ's I have tried have responded well to hand loads. BTW, where are you shooting at as the scenery is beautiful? It looks like Colorado or Utah.

Nephi Utah.

Yes, it does better with hand loads, I have shot some my brother loaded. I think it is great that it will shoot just about anything well.

I was thinking about the flyer at 100. It could have been so many things. I am tall and was hunching down over the rifle very awkwardly which resulting in no real cheak weld or any kind of proper positioning. So the flying is most like a little bit of parallax where I was looking through the scope at a strange angle. It could also have been me, the rifle wasn't locked into the rest, just setting in it and I could have moved my shoulder, or because the ammo is bulk it could be a difference in the load itself for that cartridge. But my guess is my head bobbing around the scope, I was getting that "black" region affect around the edges, you know what I mean.

Thanks for sharing. That is my next gun. I just have to decide which barrel- I've already got a 700 varmint so I'm leaning towards a light barrel for more of a sporter.

Judging by the diagonal grouping, I'd say that the barrel is bouncing off the left side of the barrel channel.

If you want to improve accuracy, take the action out of the stock and sand or rout to provide about 1/16" clearance for the length of the barrel.

It would be even better to bed the action with epoxy, after doing the barrel channel, but it may be fine for a hunting rifle without that.

Judging by the diagonal grouping, I'd say that the barrel is bouncing off the left side of the barrel channel.

If you want to improve accuracy, take the action out of the stock and sand or rout to provide about 1/16" clearance for the length of the barrel.

It would be even better to bed the action with epoxy, after doing the barrel channel, but it may be fine for a hunting rifle without that.
Good idea but not correct in this case. My buddy scratched my barrel and his pretty rest. He had the barrel resting on a metal knob at the front, not resting on the forearm. I may have too, I didn't know it could touch there.

The barrel is fully floated.

Back