CZ-52 Question(s)

VonFatman

I have a C&R and am considering purchasing a CZ-52. Does anyone have one and what do you think? Do they function and are they worth the $125.00 they are priced at in the Gun List rag? Thanks for any input.
Bob

Here in south Kali, it is 199.99 I found in only ONE store, couldn't find anywhere else,
Buy it while you can.

They're great as a curiosity. They look funny, shoot an odd cartridge, and have a weird method of operation. Reliability is very good, but they point low and feel terrible in my hand. People always want to know what it is when I take mine to the range. For $125, it's a great deal. Oh yeah, magazines are around $20, so make sure you get both with your gun.

If you're looking for something a little more comfortable and "normal", buy a Makarov (assuming you don't already have one).

Well I guess balance and feel is in the eye of the owner.I like mine.It is allso reliable and accurate.The 7.62x25 is a very good rd and if you can find subgun ammo they chrono out of the 52 at 1750 fps.

Fun guns, well made and sturdy.

Don't dry fire them, the cast steel firing pins won't take it. If you need to dry fire, remove the firing pin (very simple), or replace it with an aftermarket part that's stronger.

If you don't dry fire the gun, the original pins hold up very well.

I really like mine. It's got a nice "boom" factor, and the round it fires is readily commercially available (from Winchester and S&B). It's a single action, with a cool mechanism borrowed from, or similar to some early German full auto. I liked the mechamism since it's not just another tilting barrel. Extremely well made and sturdy, sort of how I would expect a Czech military weapon would be.

I don't know about the gun shooting low. I tend to shoot mine high and to the left (about 10:30), and I'm trying to figure out if it's me or the gun. I suspect me. Most people I've read say it's a "tack driver", maybe partly due to the non-tilting barrel. Some have reported that it "points low".

There is a fair amount of information at makarov.com, if you follow the CZ-52 link off of the main page.

There is some much hotter Czech military surplus ammo around (I think I've hear 1900 fps from people that have it). I've never fired that. The S&B and the Winchester standard load clock in at close to 1650 fps, which is moving along (for a handgun). Probably too much penetration for most self-defense purposes, from what I've heard.

I paid $165 for mine, which was in NRA Excellent (confirmed by the gunsmith to whom I had it shipped- I don't know much about those things). It looked unused, except for holster wear. The gunsmith said he wasn't sure the gun had ever been fired, and the bore was in perfect shape. I think that $125 would be a fine price for one in NRA Very Good shape. Prices, in general seem to be going up.

At any rate, I like mine a lot. I decided to see how much an action job could improve the trigger, so I sent it off to "Actions By T".

I can't know if it's worth $125 to you, it was certainly worhth $165 to me.

I have a little more inforation on my web page:

http://home.nc.rr.com/mikepwagner/shooting.html

Mike P. Wagner

I have two. I bought the first one for $125 but the firing pin was broken. I paid $200 for the second one which included a second barrel in 9mm Luger. I have only fired the second one. It is well worth $125. From what I can tell so far, it is a very well made handgun. It is accurate; it is certainly as accurate as my other OTB handguns; Glock, Ruger, Browning, Colt etc. Mine shoots about three to four inches low with the 7.62x25 barrel. It shoots right on the button with 124 grain 9mm. It has proven totally reliable (read 0 malfunctions) with both caliber barrels installed. I have bought 500 rounds of the Winchester ammo in 7.62x25 and have the dies coming. I also purchased the Accurate powder manual #2 listing the 80 grain FMJ at 1900+ fps. Make sure you also get a Makarov if you don't already have one. Great buy; Great pistol. Do a search on this site and others; plenty of info available.

heres my page,everything you need to know on a cz52 including history ,links ammo parts etc. bet ya didnt know that the 7.62 x 25 was boosted up in power to eqaul the 38 supers vest punching capabilitys.ps.dont use the hot 7.62 in like a an old bolo mauser or a t33/54.its way too hot,make sure in those ones you use 7.62 tok.enjoy.....
http://members.fortunecity.com/oldvalkyry/cz52page.html

Thanks everyone. I sure appreciate all the great information. I'm looking forward to reading the suggested links and webpages. Have a great day and once again thank you!!!

I have one in 9mm, and can always get the 7.62 barrel. I reload and don't seat the bullet as deep since the mag is wider to accomidate the 7.62x25 round. Rugged gun, all steel, fun to shoot. Couldn't build one for the price.

Fun and sturdy pistol. Get yourself a couple of spare surplus firing pins or get a stainless steel one. If shooting hot SMG ammo, it would be a good idea to install a heavier recoil spring. An attention getter at the range to say the least.

I agree with the recommendation that you get a Makarov as well. I feel the Makarov is more condusive "msp" for both CCW and for a home defense pistol (no over penetration as with the CZ52).

By all means buy a CZ52 and enjoy.

Thanks again everyone! I have sent my C&R (signed in ink) to a couple dealers, I will keep looking for a good deal and pounce on one. Best wishes everyone!!
Bob

Back