CZ-52 in a backpacking role?

saands

I just got my shipment of 90 grain XTP-HP's in .30 cal for my 7.62x25 (CZ-52) and I'm looking at the tables ... On top of a 95% load of AA#9 it looks like about 1780 fps (632 ft-lbs). In a hollow point XTP, I'm thinking that it would make a reasonable, close-range, cougar/mountain lion load ... lighter and thinner than a full-sized .357 and 3 extra rounds. Am I missing something?

Before, I was missing the source for the Hornady .30 XTP-HP's ... Now that's been solved!

TIA,
Saands

Interesting pistol to take to the woods. If you're not worried about bears then I think it's a reasonable choice. I've never owned one but I guess those CZ-52's are pretty hot. Have fun, J. Parker

saands; I've been thinkin' maybe a FMJ bullet would be better for the woods. I know the energy level of the Hornady 90gr'er is impressive but at that speed would it penetrate enough? I remember reading an article once by Wiley Clapp I believe it was and he didn't like hollow point bullets in the woods, period. He was a firm believer in deep penetration. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

J. Parker: I was interested in loading the XTP's because I have heard that their expansion is controlled yet effective over a wide range of velocities. I have never had any experiences with the bigger cats. But from my experiences, the bears in California pretty much avoid people if you don't get into an openly confrontational scenario (cubs and/or food come to mind). I was recently reading that some of the cats have learned that a portion of their prey walks on two feet. In the stalked scenario, the HP-XTP seemed like the more likely "fight-stopper." While the ice-pick action of the FMJ would ultimately penetrate more, it might require too much time to produce the desired results. In previous posts, I had seen the 7.62x25 get DQ'ed from this role because of the unavailability of an expanding load.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Saands

I guess the cartridge might have some advantages (I'm mostly concerned about black bear and mountain lion, so I'd opt for a FMJ for penetration). BUT the CZ52 seems awful heavy for backpacking. I don't know what the weight is, but I've handeled them and they didn't strike me as light. The only advantage I can see to the CZ52 for backpacking is low cost. Othewise, I'd go for something lighter and/or more powerful. My current choice is a Kel-tec P40. 11 rounds of .40 S&W 180gr FMJ in a pistol that weighs about 16oz with an empty mag. If I were more concerned about bears or less weight concious, I'd move up to a Glock 29 10mm, or a Taurus Titanium Tracker .41 or .357. And there are many of other .357s and .40s that I think would be a lot lighter than the CZ52. On the other hand, if you have a CZ52, and don't mind carrying a little more weight, I'm sure it could do the job.

Doug

I think it would be fine as far as being powerful enough for the task at hand. I work with several guys that hunt mountain lions and they use .22 pistols after the cat is treed by the dogs.

Oh boy, I know the Sierra Nevada's very well indeed. I lived in the Bay area for twenty years. Did alot of camping and recreating in the mountains from Bakersfield to the Oregon border. I wasn't "heavy" into guns at the time but I packed for the longest time a S&W mod 66 357 maggie with a 21/2" barrel. They didn't have fancy hardcast factory loads at that time but I do remember I always had 158gr. softpoints of somekind. Later on I got a Win. Trapper in 30-30 calibre. Felt a little bit better in the woods after that. I dunno, a high velocity 90gr bullet just seems a little light for the woods. Anymore, at the very least I take my P-220 or a 357 maggie. And most of the time I wear a fanny pack also with a second gun. Right now a Taurus 41 mag fits nicely. So, most of the time I take two guns. An urban choice for self-defense seems so much easier...Best, J. Parker

Ya! the CZ42 or most any CZ is great for a defensive pistol.
>40s and Kel-tecs? Whatevr floats your boat.

I'll take a military/ police proven gun with a potent load.

Big Cats are killed with .22s here, but in a tree or stallkingm your 6 year old is not the same.

A lot of people here are stalked/mauled/killed by Cougars
in Idaho...but many incidents are not reported.

I'm told that about a local encounter.

One night a guy was camping. woke up with a fetid breathed
cat on his chest. being a true Idaho man. he reached for his
.45 and was able to shot the $#&@# off him.

he panicked, the the coug in his pickup and split for
the Oreo. other campers spotted him and called F&G. who
stopped him as he returned home. The guy was still wearing
the white t-shirt, with huge paw prints on it!

Here kitty kitty..i got something for ya!!
joinban.jpg

Back