CZ 52 Experiences?

Mike P. Wagner

What kind of experiences have people had with CZ-52s? The most fun round I've shot has been the .357 SIG. But I also like the single action pistols I have shot (1911, Hi Power). And the tax man is going to be getting a bigger chunk of my money than I had thought.

So I've been reading and surfing, and I seem to have found an single action pistol that fires a round capable of making a satisfying kaboom for $175 (the pistol, not the kaboom).

Any toughts on this? The 7.72 x 25 ammo seems to be about as expensive as the .357 SIG, and seem to be avaible in loadings across a wide range of power.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a CZ52 in the orginal caliber of 7.62X25 and what a blast. If you want cheap ammo in this caliber, you can always shoot military surplus which is what I do most of the time. As I have said, the ammo is corrosive but clean accordingly. Also most of this ammo was/is submachine gun ammo and have very hard primers requiring a couple of strikes. On the other hand, buy yourself some S&B ammo that is being currently produced in CZ that is not corrosive and is sure fire with one strike. I love mine and it does turn most heads at the range due to its muzzle blast. I believe the average round of 7.62X25 has a muzzle velocity of around 1400 fps. You can also buy the CZ52 that has been converted to 9mm but if you do where is the fun in shooting the powerful ammo this gun was made for. Go buy one and you will not regret it. Also, they have a heavy trigger pull, but what the hey.

DON'T DRY-FIRE it. Mine broke the firing pin when I did this. I was doing a trigger job on it by polishing up all the contacting surfaces. Ended up really smooth. I took it out to the range and tried to fire it. Click. Click. Click. No dents on the primers. I figured it out pretty quick.

My inpression of the gun was that it's way too big for anything but fun plinking. For that, it's just right. Mine is pretty accurate. I got mine for $99 when they were that cheap. Don't need another, but I think they are worth what they are asking now.

Badger Arms is right about the firing pin. I forgot to mention this in my earlier reply. The firing pin is very brittle and will not take any dry firing. I bought a spare surplus firing pin from Makarov.com just in case. Makarov.com offers much better after market firing pins for the CZ52. They are a bit more expensive but worth it and I plan to get one in the future.

Back