CZ-52, Cleaning C & R Weapons

Mike P. Wagner

I have asked my local dealer to send off his FFL, and sent payment to the seller. So I should have a shiny new CZ-52 in my hands shortly.

Only it won't be new, and probably none too shiny on arrival. From what I understand, the first step will be dis-assembling the pistol, and cleaning out decades old Cosmoline.

What advice to people have about the initial cleaning of a C & R pistol that may have been in storage for some time?

Thanks,

Mike

Ditto on the mineral spirits.At less than 2 bucks a gallon (Wal-Mart)it can't be beat.My CZ-52 came in with a nice coating of oil but no cosmoline.Don't be surprised if your grips are pretty beat up(especially the right one).I degreased mine and primered them but have yet to paint them.I figured they look like hell anyway so why not try.If you want to buy some new grips,FAC(phone 763-780-8780)has new plastic ones for $24.95 and walnut for $29.95.If my painting fails i will purchase.Also pick up a new firing pin in case yours breaks(FAC $14.99 i believe)and don't dry fire a CZ-52 or you'll need that new firing pin. Other than the grips mine came in looking like a brand new gun, and my holster after cleaning(saddle soap)and oiling(neetsfoot) looks fantastic!The CZ-52 is one fine handgun! :)

For handguns, go to the store (or a yard sale) and buy a cheap aluminum baking pan, preferably 13x9.

Don't get an aluminum foil one, get an aluminum one.

Stainless steel or porcelain steel would be better, but they're a lot more expensive.

This gives you a nice bit tray in which to soak guns.

Next, go to the autoparts store, and get a box of shop rags and a couple of cans of brake cleaner (basically Gun Scrubber, but a lot LESS expensive).

Also get a couple of cheap, short bristled cleaning brushes, like tooth brushes.

Wipe off the worst of the cosmoline with the shop rags, soak the gun in the pan filled with mineral spirits, use the brushes to scrub it out, and when you have all the cosmoline cleaned out, spray (take it outside) with the brake cleaner to do final clean up before reoiling/reassembling.

Be sure to dispose of the mineral spirits properly. I normally take mine to the same gas station that takes my used motor oil, and dump it in their Safety Kleen parts washer.

Back