CZ 457 jaguar--22lr practice in the wind

stagpanther

Wanted to get some 22lr practice in today--unfortunately it was quite windy so the hardest part was playing "dodgeball" with the gusts and timing shots. I knew I wasn't going to get tiny groups, but the gustiness was mostly quartering tailwinds, so I figured I still had a chance if I could time between gusts rolling in. Here's ten at 137 yds with R-100--I'm happy with it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• R100jaguar137yds.jpg
    R100jaguar137yds.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_7920.jpg
    IMG_7920.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 167
Went out again today since conditions were relatively calm--unfortunately only the very first group was good before the wind picked up. Even though it was still very light--the headwind gusts were enough to greatly increase the spread of the impacts.

attachment.php

Attachments

• R-100 170 yds.jpg
    R-100 170 yds.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 114
Nice shooting! I really need to get a good .22 rifle. I'm trying to decide between the BMR or B14R Bergara riea at the moment.

Nice shooting! I really need to get a good .22 rifle. I'm trying to decide between the BMR or B14R Bergara riea at the moment.
Thanks--I've eyed the bergara myself--I have several other guns with bergara barrels and they are outstanding. The only thing holding me back is that they are not simple barrel replacement rifles as far as I can tell.

Some people knock CZ's 22s and they aren't necessarily perfect like the $1,000 to $3,000 custom rifles--but for the money I've found them to be outstanding--got two of them and will probably get a second jaguar next spring. Some people don't think the 12-groove 28" barrel does anything for 22lr--to which I say "Yup--absolutely sucks" ( so I can find one and buy it ;) ). A really good scope is essential for anything serious beyond casual plinking (or you are lucky enough to have eagle eyes for shooting with irons).

You could probably do a barrel nut on the B14R, since it's a M700 SA footprint. I like Bergara barrels as well with my Encore, and I'm not going to go down the rimfire rabbit hole you are. So barrel interchangeability isn't a deal breaker.

Last edited:
So barrel interchangeability isn't a deal breaker.
You have a point there--it's probably near impossible to burn a throat or bore out on a conventional1:16 22lr barrel as long as you don't mechanically or chemically damage it.

LOL--yep, I'll probably rise to the occasion and mess it up somehow. But I am babying this one as much as I can--for the time being CZ USA isn't bringing in many barrels--and I've never seen replacement barrels for the jaguar listed as being available.:(

Back