CZ-452 Military Trainer

Model12Win

Here is my new CZ-452 military trainer in 5.6mm (.22LR). These are of the type of rifle used to train military cadets and new recruits on basic shooting fundamentals before moving them up to service rifles such as the AK-47 or H&K G3 and others. The CZ-452 military trainer is based upon the BRNO Model 2 which was used as a training rifle by several militaries. It features military style tangent sights that are fully adjustable and go all the way out to 200 meters, and the stock is shaped specifically for iron sight shooting:

20160925_111727_1.jpg

The sling I put on is off a Romanian M69 training rifle. This gun shoots very nicely and there are 10 round magazines available for them as well. I have been very happy with the quality and reliability of this rifle. Accuracy seems excellent though I've only fired the gun out to 25 yards on an indoor range with poor lighting and on a standard bench with no rest. I plan to get it out to the outdoor 300 yard rifle range nearby and put it through it's paces with match ammo. I'm going to keep it iron-sights only just as it was designed for, and may use it for hunting squirrels this fall and winter.

I have the longer barreled version called the Ultra-Lux. I LOVE mine.
It is an outstanding example of what a 22 should be. The one you have is certainly just as good.

I have the longer barreled version called the Ultra-Lux. I LOVE mine.
It is an outstanding example of what a 22 should be. The one you have is certainly just as good.

Coming from you that says a lot! If anyone knows a good rifle, it's you.

*Lots* of other folk here have said really nice things about the accuracy of CZ.

Looking forward to your range report but having shot 'small bore' competition (sounds sooooo much cooler saying 'small bore' than just saying .22) I'd be really impressed with seeing what your rifle could do at just 50 feet.

IIRC somebody right here compared their CZ to their Anschutz.

Good luck.

My 452 has been bedded and had a trigger job. At 50 yards it shoots a lot of ammo as well as my MPR64. The Annie is picky about ammo. With good ammo like Center X, Norma TAC, Wolf Target. The Annie will really shoot. It cost a lot more than the 452.

I have come very close to duplicating my Annie test target at 100 yards but there is a lot going on that will mess up your plans. I have not really shot the 452 at 100 yards for groups. The trigger is very good but does not come close to the Annie. The 452 is about 2 lb. and the Annie is at 10 oz.

And here is a view down the sights. The bolt has been removed from the rifle for this photograph:

20160925_185525_1.jpg

You can see the military-style sights on this training rifle, making it useful for lower cost practice compared to an 8mm Mauser or AK-47. That is exactly why a number of militaries adopted and still use weapons of this type for training purposes.

I have one of those CZ 452 trainers. It is extremely accurate for a light rifle.

But its more then a training rifle, its the perfect set up in NRA Light Rifle and CMP Rimfire Sporting Rifle Matches.

Its not as accurate as my Anschutz 1807, but its not as heavy either. Plus I cant shoot my Annie in the above matches.

Also the CZ isn't as picky about ammo as my Anschutz either.

What military?

The 452 was called the "Special Military Trainer",,,

The 455 is simply called the "Training Rifle".

I read somewhere that the term Special Military Trainer came from some country (Turkey?) wanting a bunch of rifles but then somehow reneging on the deal.

I know I don't have the story correct,,,
But I know of no military that uses them for trainers.

Several countries have used .22 rifles in the past,,,
We had that beautiful old Springfield,,,
We also had several Mossberg's,,,
Some army used the MAS-??,,,
Germany had the Mauser's,,,
Poland had that WZ-48.

But did anyone actually use the CZ for training?

It's no big deal to me,,,
I greatly enjoy shooting my 452.

I would just like to know the actual story behind the name.

Aarond

From what I understand the South African army placed an order from CZ for military trainers, the same gun I have.

But, they deal went south so CZ released them to the public and just added the design to their lineup for those wanting a .22 rifle made specifically for iron sighted shooting (though a scope may be added via 11mm dovetail).

The CZ-452 is very closely related to the earlier BRNO Model 2, which was used as a trainer though. So technically, as far as I have been able to ascertain, the CZ-452 hasn't actually been used by any military as a training rifle. However, it would be ideal in that role and is tailor made for such a task.

it would be ideal in that role and is tailor made for such a task.

It's way too pretty for that.

Thanks for that clear info Model12Win,,,
I had read about it somewhere,,,
But had forgot the country.

I bought mine because I am enamored with rimfire trainers,,,
Most actual rimfire trainers are out of my price range,,,
But I was able to pick up a Polish WZ-48 for a song.

It's accuracy is astounding with Remington MilSurp 40 grain LRN,,,
I also have a civilian version ES340B Mauser,,,
These and my CZ are my best shooters.

The CZ is far prettier of course.

Aarond

I had a Wz-48 that I bought off Bud's Gun Shop. It was not as advertised and was in poor shape. After fighting with buds I decided to flip it on Gunbroker and someone bought it for about double what I got it for on Bud's.

I'm sure they're good guns if one can find one in good shape, but I do like the fact that the CZ takes an actual magazine.

Congrats on the Trainer. :cool:

I have a 452 Trainer that I bought new at the end of 2013. It's a great field rifle. It shoulders quickly and the sights are instantly in line with your eye. The balance and pointability are dang near perfect. The front sight is far enough from my eye that I can focus on it better than shorter barrel guns. Although, I need a new glasses prescription as the sight has gone a little fuzzy on me now.

The only thing I don't like on my Trainer is the forend's lack of checkering. The forend gets a bit slippery in my hand and checkering there would improve it greatly.

Different strokes for different folks,,,

Different strokes for different folks,,,

...but I do like the fact that the CZ takes an actual magazine.

I chuckled when I read this.

The first thing I bought for mine,,,
Was a single-shot adapter. ;)

I honestly don't think it improves my accuracy,,,
I just like the ritual of loading a round after each shot.

If I hunted at all any more,,,
I would definitely use the magazine.

Aarond

I have a 452 Lux myself. Love that rifle.

Pretty good shooter, too.

The pic is of a dime, shot at 150 yards, with my 452 Lux, using a Weaver T36 scope, off a bipod (on a bench). Ammo was Eley Match....a particular lot that the rifle really likes.

Attachments

• 20160928_125143.jpg
    20160928_125143.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I picked up a used CZ 452 Varmint 22lr. on gunbroker about 5 years ago. Never bought a rifle without seeing it. Anyway the rifle was in perfect shape, installed a adjustable sear kit, lighter trigger spring & gloss blue bottom metal trigger guard assembly. The bore is tighter then most 22's , had to order a 20 caliber Dewey cleaning rod to clean. Rifle loves Wolf target match ammo. Shoots one 45 cal hole group, 5 or 25 shots , doesn't matter. Love shooting the rifle in doors in the cold months. CZ makes a great rifle. I use Hoppe's #9 followed with Ballistol to clean.

I have one of those CZ 452 trainers. It is extremely accurate for a light rifle.

But its more then a training rifle, its the perfect set up in NRA Light Rifle and CMP Rimfire Sporting Rifle Matches.

I recently attended my first NRA Light Rifle match (although it was informal and not officially ranked) with a friend of mine who was a competition shooter in high school. I shot my 452 with a scope in the optics division and he shot his 452 with stock sights in the iron sight division. The rifle is capable of some stupid groups that are almost irrelevant the way I shoot... especially offhand :p

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's cumbersome to cycle in field positions as a left eye dominant shooter. Very quick from the bench though. Keep my firing hand on the grip and cycle with my support hand.

Back