CZ 27 Serial number

gyvel

CZ 27 Serial number--Opinions, comments needed

While digging through my junk, I came across a 1945 dated CZ27 whose frame had the orignal serial number "X'd" out (still readable under the X's, though) and renumbered to force match the slide. I have also seen this done on other foreign weapons.

It doesn't seem to be an effort to "alter" "or "deface" an existing serial number, but rather an action taken by a post WWII government on firearms received as war reparations, and rebuilt or refurbished at some point.

Would BATF be smart enough to recognize that this was a legitimate action done by a foreign government, and recognize the historical significance of it?

Last edited:
The best I can say is "probably". It may surprise some, but they are pretty knowledgeable about such things as forced matching and renumbering.

That aside, I wouldn't worry a lot, though I probably wouldn't buy a gun like that. Even with the current administration's anti-gun bias, I can't see a U.S. Attorney wasting time on such a minor thing when there are terrorists running around.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I was kinda hoping that would be the case as it is a legit renumber from a foreign government.

Back