cz 24 8mm brno

rich t

Inactive
I have a CZ 8MM Brno rifle that I got some time ago . I have had time to try and clean it and found that the muzzle end has been drilled out ,, 2 inches ,, just the rifling was drilled so you have 2 inches with no rifling ?? what will this do ?? is this done on all CZ 24 8MM BRNO rifles ??

please let me know any info about this , so I will know if it is safe to shoot

The counter bored muzzles on those old arms is an attempt to cure the "wallow" that often occurred from improper cleaning. The rods would wallow an egg-shape to the crown and give poor accuracy. By drilling back into the muzzle a ways it was suppose to cure the problem. In some cases it actually does too.
The rifle is not unsafe to fire because of it. Try it for accuracy. If it shoots well you are good to go. If not, the only cure is a new barrel.

Fixes an eroded muzzle. Like Wyosmith says. It's been done to elderly milsurp rifles for eons. Perfectly safe to shoot.

Fairly common but 2" seems excessive. Many of the VZ 24 Mausers I sold (when they were still cheap) had some amount of counter bore but most were 1/2" or less. The ones I kept for personal use had the barrels cut back past the counter bore and re-crowned in the interest of good accuracy.

Back