Cylinder & Slide SFS system

TimW

I searched the Semi-auto forum and found only one reference to this system, regarding condition 2 carry.

Does anyone have it? How is it?

Reason being is that, in a fanny pack, I carry my Kimber in C2. I'm not comfortable with it in C1 unless in my belt or IWB holster. I ran across the SFS system and it seems pretty ingenious...like that old Daewoo pistol, I think.

Any comments??

TIA,
TimW
Phoenix

Condition 2

I think we recently covered this issue and someone (1911 I think) correctly pointed out that condition 2 was the only totally unsatisfactory carry position.

If you don't like and can't get used to condition one you should consider an alternative weapon to a 1911A1. Failing that, carry condition 3 and practice racking the slide.

Anything that works for the Israelis can't be too bad I guess but condition two with a 1911A1 and no firing pin block is definitely out of consideration.

Carrying in a fanny pack, you are already violating the first Cardinal Rule of Gun Safty that we all learned in those Conservation Club meeting in Public School in the 50s; "Never point a firearm at anything that you do not intend to shoot". :)

Pigpen

I agree with PigPen. If you are uncomfortable carrying condition 1, then carry condition 3. Condition 2 is not as safe as either of those.

More importantly, I strongly recommend against carrying one way in one condition (belt holster, condition 1) and carrying another way in a different condition (fanny pack, condition 2). The problem is that under extreme stress you will fight as you trained. If you train in condition 1, then there's a very good chance that if TSHTF, you will draw from the fanny pack, try to lower the already-lowered safety, pull the trigger, only to have nothing happen because you forgot to cock the gun.

Be consistent. Pick a way to carry (condition 1 or 3). Then always carry in that condition. And train in that condition as well. If TSHTF, you will have to react RIGHT NOW! and you will do so as you trained.

M1911

Tim-

Read the threads Jeff OTMG linked out for you; there is good info and various opinions regarding the SFS system and what if any role it plays for different folks.

I just had the SFS installed on a pair of custom BHPs: I was very impressed when I shot a friends SFS equipped BHP at Knifengnugen 2k in AZ this fall. The trigger was crisp and the system functioned well. Upon returning home I promptly went and ordered a brace of pistols so equipped.

See my new review from tonite
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56625

With regard to carrying, I strongly agree with M1911: either do it Condition 1 (or SFS) or Condition 3 and train appropriately.

Regards,

Bob

Back