Cylinder removal on S&W 686

Sling Shot

Hello all. I am new to revolvers. I have been reading and studying the S&W shop manual by Jerry Kuhnhausen. I am figuring it might be easier to remove the cylinder for cleaning the chambers, or is that a bad idea? Anyway, I read the instructions about removing the cylinder, and I am exactly not sure what to pull toward the muzzle end. The manual says to open cylinder to it hits it stop. Then take my right hand, and hold it firmly. While doing this, do I take my left hand and pull on the yoke where it is located on the frame, or do I pull on the ejector rod, or do I pull on the yoke where the ejector rod goes through the yoke on the cylinder? How hard would I have to pull? Do I need to do anything else before I even start to remove cylinder? Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sling Shot

Basically, any of the above. All will result in the cylinder coming out of the gun.

I find it easiest to grasp the crane and pull on that. Because the axel fits into the frame rather snugly, you often have to wiggle it a little bit.

Mike, you mentioned pulling on the crane. Is the ejector rod and crane called the same thing. Please excuse my ignorance. Sling Shot

I may be doing this wrong, but on my 686 I take out the set screw, then pull the yoke gently toward the muzzle and the whole thing just slides out. The set screw is on the side opposite from the way the cylinder opens - the right side when holding the gun as if to shoot it.

Phil, you answered my question. The yoke screw that goes through the side plate is what I was not understanding. If you have read Jerry's shop manual, it goes through a detail strip, and one of the first things removed besides grips and mainspring is the side plate which houses the yoke set screw. Then when I read the directions on cylinder removal, I just totally forgot about the yoke set screw although the manual did not mention the yoke set screw in the cylinder removal directions, but it had already been removed when the side plate was removed, and that is what had me going.. I am just learning, so do not be too hard on me.
Sling Shot

Note that there is no need to remove the other sideplate screws or the sideplate to remove the crane and cylinder, only the front screw.

Also, if you are going further and will unscrew the extractor rod from the extractor/ratchet (not recommended) remember that the new S&Ws have LEFT hand threads.

Jim

Cyclinder removal?

The cylinder can be removed with a pair of soft pliers...In the oposet direction. You may have trouble with it spinning outward and not being able to get the cylinder closed.

Back