Cylinder Removal on GP100

38spl

Inactive
I went to the local gun shop this afternoon to buy some loading stuff and low and behold, I came home with a new toy!!! It is a GP100 in 38 special that was just calling my name. I came home and went right to the range. What a sweet shooter! One ragged hole at 7 yards slow fire. Rapid fire as a little tough until I get used to the rather tough trigger pull. Any way, the gun was used and did not come with a manual. When I went to clean it, I could not figure out how to remove the cylinder. On my S&W 686, it's just a matter of one screw and the cylinder can be removed. Can anyone explain to me how to do this? It is just so much easier to clean with the cylinder off. Please help!

Thanks!!!!!

first remove the grips.

Cock the hammer and insert a small object through the end of the hammer spring strut. Theres a small round hole. I use a piece of a coat hanger. Leave it longer on one side so you remember which way it goes back in. I use "long on the left"

Lower the hammer and remove the hammer spring and strut.

Pull the hammer piviot pin out, located on the grip frame, has a flat oval head. Then the hammer will lift out.

use the hammer strut or a small screwdriver or punch to depress the detent on the inside of the grip frame that will release the trigger assymbly. While pushing the pin in, pull down on the rear of the trigger guard. The whole trigger group will come out and remain as one unit. This is not difficult.

Now the cylinder group will pull out towards the muzzle.

Clean and your ready to put it back together.

Start with the clyinder group, then the trigger group( make sure it snaps all the way up. the transfer bar should be pointed up and can hang, causing the installation to make you mad as hell, but you will get hte hang of it) Nex the hammer and piviot pin, then the hammer spring and strut and grips.

Hope I didn't forget anything

GP100.jpg

cylinder from crane

On the GP100 you can do this without fully dismounting the revolver.:
Take the grips off. Open the cylinder. On top of the crane forward of the cylinder is a large hole with a spring plunger down inside. insert a small diameter pin- brass punch or paper clip and depress. Then look for the small end of a pin on the inside of the crane. Push the pin out to the left. The ejector rod, crane latch, and crane latch plunger/spring can all be pulled out. The cylinder will come off by pulling to the back. Reassembly is easy since the assembly won't go back together unless everything is pointed the right way.

Once the through-pin ( the first thing you took out) is started back in, you will need to tap lightly with a plastic or brass object to click it in place.

Great revolvers.

Back