Cylinder or improved cylinder for skeet

Kvon2

Alrighty so I just bought a new shotgun and it comes with 5 chokes; C, IC, M, IM, and F. In another shotgun I do have a skeet choke and my understanding is that skeet falls between C and IC. What do you think will be the best option for skeet with this new friend?

Yes, skeet is between Cylinder and improved cylinder.....if i didn't want to buy a,skeet choke - for casual shooting i'd probably shoot an IC.

but try both and shoot what you like best....

Take your load and both chokes and shoot at the pattern plate and see what you get.
In reality, .005 either way, at 21 yards, isn't going to make a lot of difference.

If shooting 7/8 oz in 12 ga, you will want the I/C for skeet. Last i shot i was using 1 oz. This leaves holes in the pattern with a skeet choke. IMO.

There is according to some choke makers Skeet 1 & Skeet 2.

Cyl.. Sk1.. IC.. Sk2.. Mod

So your new shotgun.. is it a single barrel? I presume so by your question but would like to be sure.

Assuming yes.. pattern and see what you get. Sometimes Cyl tubes shoot a bit tighter and make good Sk1 tubes.

Skeet 1 AND Skeet 2 constriction are both less than Imp. Cyl. from some manufacturers like Briley.

Yep, also been called "Skeet In", and "Skeet Out", typically about .003 and .008 respectively. Nominal SK being .005, it will also do the job.

That said, what I mentioned above should be done by the OP. Just because a choke is marked a particular constriction, doesn't mean it will pattern that way with his ammo. I have seen chokes marked IC that patterned closer to Full as well as some IM and F chokes that were closer to IC.

One of the last times I went to the skeet range, I got the same usual score without any choke at all.
Forgot to put one in. :)
Shows to go ya' how important it might not be.

Pattern the Cyl. and the IC chokes. If the cyl patterns without holes in the pattern use it. Skeet is shot at close range so you don't need much if any choke but you don't want large holes in the pattern. The pattern can also change if you switch brands of ammo or even different size shot so back to the pattern board to make sure isn't a bad idea.

Back