Cylinder latch problems

KEYBEAR

I have new model Super Blackhawk 44 Mag . The Ruger is in good condition and i have never had a problem until today .

The cylinder latch does not retract with the hammer but does when the loading gate is opened . It is free(can be pushed down easy ) when the cylinder is removed but does not retract into the frame as the hammer is in the frame after pulling the trigger . Can not pull the hammer back more then 1/2 inch with cylinder in as the latch is up .

This is an older New Model Super Blackhawk not used much it is clean and just started this today .

Any thoughts before I remove the grip frame

That sounds like the hammer plunger is damaged or broken. On the bottom of the hammer, there is a small diameter spring-loaded pin-retained plunger that pushes the cylinder bolt down as you cock the hammer. If it is broken, it is easy to repair or replace.

Check that the cylinder pin is fully inserted and the locking plunger has engaged the cut in the cylinder pin. It is quite common for the pin to either not be fully inserted or to jump out of place if the locking plunger doesn't hold. The resulting mis-alignment of the rear of the cylinder may cause the bolt stop to bind.

Scorch I think you are correct the Ruger was taken apart by a Smith a week ago . The gun did work fine but I did not shoot it until yesterday and the problem was found . I will talk to the Smith Monday and take it back I have to many other things to do at this time .

Mobuck The base pin in this gun has had zero problems as yet .
I also removed the cylinder and replaced it the pin is ok .
The cylinder latch only works by opening the loading gate .

Mobuck I had some work done that needed the gun taken apart .
I picked it up Saturday and it worked ok .
Later the same day I thought I would shoot it and it did not work .
I have not taken it apart yet first I will talk to the Smith .

Thanks for the help I think I know the problem now

Possibly, he could have gotten the bolt plunger out of place, but since he said he hadn't had any problems before, I guessed that plunger broke.

I called the Smith today and told him the problem . He would like it back and said he fired 6 rounds after his work was done . He said the gun shot fine and it may of just broke ?? Also he will fix it

Got the Ruger back but it is cold out side and going to be warmer Saturday .
So will give it a good work out this weekend .

The spring on the bottom of the hammer was bad and he replaced it at no cost .

The Smith replaced the hammer plunger and Spring and all is well . The Smith said he was not sure why but the spring failed .

Back