cylinder base pin problems

campingnights

Took my Cimarron Frontier 357 to the range today. It was very frustrating to shoot as the cylinder base pin keptcreeping forward from recoil. I am sure the pin was lined up right. I still love thegun. Any suggestions?:(

Maybe it wasn't in all the way or far enough for the latch to be engaged?
My El Patron got its pin shortened as soon as it got home from the store! I don't like the looks of a too long pin so that is the first of many things done when they come home with me. I keep it in the so called "safety " position all the time ( cause it looks right). I use the solid block safety that's in the hammer (and engaged when in the safety notch ) and carry six. But, that's just me and I'm comfortable with that set up.

I intended to shorten the pin Dragoon, but that won't solve the problem of it creeping forward. Research on the net shows that this is not as rare a problem as I would have imagined. Looks like a Beltmountain cylinder pin might be the fix. They have two sizes .2495 or .2515. I hate to spend $40 for a micrometer just for this, does anyone else have a Cimarron Frontier by Pietta in .357 and know the diameter of the base pin? I have emailed Beltmountain, but their only listed phone number is a Fax line?

Havent had that prob. with mine. Fixed the coil spring and wire combo spring probs. and now its one of my fav. shooters!

I'm sure I will prize this gun too. Once this blasted base pin problem is fixed. I'd send it back to Cimarron but I'd rather just buy a replacement base pin instead of paying return postage.:(

The cross pin spring is not strong enough to keep the base pin from sliding out. Take the cross pin apart, stretch the spring, and reassemble. Make sure the cross pin is fully engaging the notch/cut in the base pin.

SH*T! Now I can't get the base pin catch back in. Was talkin to someone when I took it out, figured to use the exploded diagram to slap it together. The diagram can't possibly be right! It shows the base pin latch sliding into the spring and being inserted from the NON loading gate side. That hole ain't deep enough. If the spring was on the other side then the base pin would be directly riding on the spring. Sheesh how many ways can 3 parts be assembled.

Thanks Fingers. I stretched the base pin retention spring and it was rock solid at the range tonight. That problem is solved, but the ammo I'm using seems to freeze the cylinder rotation? I wonder if the LAX 357 reloads are too hot for my Cimarron? Rotates fine before shooting, then the empty casings seem to catch somehow. The primers look normal. I wonder if the reloads are stretching the brass when fired? Is that possible? A couple of times the loading gate was knocked open from the recoil? Too hot ammo maybe?

Take a close look at the recoil shield and you may need to relieve some machining edges that may be a little proud. The edges of some of the fired cases may catching some sharp edges and putting on the brakes. I had that issue with the above gun. It will smooth out for ya.

Back