cylinder/barrel swap on N frame

Rusty S

I love my 58's but they are defense guns and not hunting guns. Without good defense ammo they just sit in the closet.

What if I were to pick up a 29/629 barrel, have the top strap milled flat like the 58, and a sight dovetail slot cut and blade installed then the old barrel removed ( and kept in reserve ) and the new one fitted.

I also see 29/629 cylinders without the ejector for sale, Would it be better to use a 44 cylinder plus ejector star/rod/ and God knows what else and fit it to the frame, or to just rechamber the already fitted 41 cylinder to 44mag? If I kept the original cylinder and barrel, so it could be restored?
If I provided all the parts, are we talking more in smithing charges than a new mountain gun already? I have 2 blued and one nickeled 58's and I'd almost have to have them round butted, plus refinished, and definitely ported?

I'd really rather have them done up into modern versions of the 1917. What stops me is the little lug on the left cylinder window just in front of the recoil shield and below in the lower rear corner that helps to support the back of the cylinder against the push of the ejection rod. That lug was cut for recessed rims. Would it have to be welded up or could it be?

Or if I sold the two blue ones, to someone appreciative of them as they are, would I be close to what it would cost for a pair of nice 25-2's or 45acp mountain guns?

As can be seen, I need help making up my alleged mind, to say the least. ( Nurse! Why is my Thorazine late tonight? )

Rusty, the barrel and cylinder assy would probably cost as much as a used 629 $300-$350. Add rebarreling labor $90; Machine rib and dovetail for sight $70; convert to round butt $55; refinish $135-$170 and new grips. This would be an expensive proposition. If you already had the bbl and cyl it wouldn't be so bad. I wouldn't recommend converting to half-moons. With the availability of speed loaders there's no real need to do that. I've seen several 629s for under $400. That being said, I'd be happy to do the work for you. If that's what you want to do just e-mail me. George

Thanks George, you confirmed my suspicions. Think I'll just look around for a pair of 25's or 29's, and sell the blued pair of 58s. It would be almost heretical to customize a rarity. But not yet, it'll take time to be strong and let them go.

Rusty,
'When you get ready to unload those old wore out, outdated 58's let me know, all I ever buy is that kind of old stuff that no one wants anymore and is of really no use.

Back