Cylinder and Slide pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertRat

Does anyone have experience with the Cylinder and Slide shop? I'm considering having them build a custom 5" 1911 .45 carry gun using Les Baer components. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

They do good work. Assume you mean to use the Les Baer slide and frame, good choice but you can get the same parts from Rock River Arms for less money. Two of the smiths, Bill himself and Christian, are both APG members.

Jeff,

Thanks for your response. Have you had a pistol built by these people? The reason I want LB components is that I think they are the best available. I'm not really into throwing money away; however, when I'm betting my life on a weapon, money is no object (to a degree).

Additionally, I already own a LB SRP .45. I really like this 1911; however, its tight--real tight. I don't know if I can completely trust it as the bushing and slide to frame fit are like a vault. They ought to loosen up over time. But that's what you get when you buy a custom gun that was built primarily with CNC machines and very little hand crafting.

I believe that C&S can keep it accurate while maintaining a higher degree of reliability. What do you think? Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
DesertRat

Cylinder & Slide did some work on my Browning Hi-Power and I couldn't recommend them enough. Quality, fit and finish, customer service, they have it all. In my opinion they are one of the top gun shops in the country today.

DRat - Bill Laughridge is a buddy of mine, we have dinner together when he is in Tulsa for the big gun show in April. He is a very fine gentleman, a superb gunsmith, and excellent work is turned out by his shop. I have my own gunsmith that works on my guns and he has used C&S parts in my BHP's and 1911's. He insists on ordering his parts from C&S whenever possible as he, Christian, and Bill have a good relationship. C&S is one of the few big name gunsmith companies my guy might be willing to go to work for because of the consistent quality of work turned out by their shop.

The reason I suggested that you use Rock River Arms is to save money. They are the SAME parts that Les uses just without the Les Baer logo. Mark and Chuck Larson, brothers, own Rock River Arms, worked for Armalite before going to work with Les, left over some business dealings, and started their own company. The frames and slides come from the same place and both use Kart barrels. Same guns only RRA is hundreds of dollars less. Your call, but that logo is not worth the extra money to me.

Keep in mind LB line of pistols are not 'custom' guns. They are one of the best, highest quality, mass produced pistols on the market, along with Rock River Arms and you could probably include Wilson. The only custom pistols Les built was in the 1980's when he was still living in Pa. before he went to work for Springfield Armory, those were custom pistols. He REALLY did some nice work. His tolerances were incredibly tight, in fact he had to loosen up a little bit as he had previously worked as a cyrogenic machinist building vanes for turbine engines and worked in tolerences as low as .0001 (that is one ten-thousandth of an inch). If you have C&S build you a pistol from a frame and slide, now THAT will be a custom pistol, with all of Bill's special parts of course.

Jeff,

Your advice is appreciated. I'll post the outcome in 6 months when I receive my pistol. I'm convinced C&S will build it as nearly perfect as possible. This will not be a show gun or trinket--it will be used. This will probably be my last 1911. A true custom gun, built to last.

Now, here's my next question. Ball park, how many rounds do you think this pistol will go before its a wall hanger? I expect a small amount of minor parts breakage, but how long before the frame and/or slide will wear out (it will not be hard chromed). I'll be firing standard loads: 230gr. ball, 230 Hydra-Shoks, etc. I won't beat it up, but will use it as a working gun. Carried daily, cleaned regularly. Your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks,

DesertRat

When dealing with C&S, know exactly what you want and why you want it. Listen to their suggestions also. Make a list of everything that you want on it right down to serrations on the back of the slide being 40 lpi rather than 30 lpi (not that you would even want that done but as an example), but if you ask for something know why you want it. Because you saw a picture of a gun in a magazine that had that feature and it looked cool is not a good reason, that pegs you as an armchair commando. If a gunsmith knows exactly what a customer is looking for he can do a much better job than if he was just 'putting a pistol together' as opposed to 'building a custom pistol'. There is a fine but important line. Ken Hallock in Midwest City, Ok was a pistolsmith for the USAF (even wrote a book, Hallocks .45 Auto Handbook), the shooters of the guns he serviced would bring them to him for adjustment because the triggers were beginning to get a little off, like 2 oz off. What is the point of putting the effort into a pistol if the shooter can't appreciate that effort?

The pistol will last forever and never become a wall hanger unless you run a super heavy recoil spring and/or run incredibly hot loads through it, either of which might crack the frame. The pistol may get a little loose and groups may open up around 20,000 - 25,000 rounds. The harder frame and slide you are going to use may go longer. If that happens you can have the gun rebuilt, drop in a new barrel, have the frame to slide fit tightened, and start all over. At that time you may want to add the Accu-rail system. It is small steel rods inlaid in the frame that the slide rides on. The rods wear out but to tighten a gun back up you just put in new rods. Do that about every 10,000 rounds, I hear it is a great system.

Good luck with your project. I will have to tell you about the one I just had done sometime, email if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back