CVA Wolf

Just picked one up from GB. Its an older one that doesn't have the quick release breech plug.
I have a scope for it, plan to just shoot it for fun. I don't even know why I bought it, other than one more gun is never a bad thing.
Anyone have one? What loads do they like? I have 777 and pyrodex available. Power Belt or Sabot?
Based on my other CVAs I guess loose 777 and 245gr Power Belt. 80-100 GR of powder.
Also, who has the best replacement ram rods to replace the AL piece of junk it comes with?

I have a CVA Wolf Magnum 50 with the action release in front of the trigger guard and quick release breech plug. I took it out 2 times and have fired nearly 25 rounds through it. Haven't been able to get it to group at 100 yards yet. I heard that with the early model Wolf Magnums the scope mount base was not solid. I've been told that CVA's new Z2 mount takes care of it. But, that's another $30. I guess I need to bite the bullet. It's just metal in the corner if I don't get it zeroed properly.

I loaded 120 gr of T7 fffg once. seemed to handle it fine. I was shooting 100 gr charges while working on sighting in.

I personally I don't own one. But a couple of my friends do. Since we all hunt in the same area/township. As a tradition we 3 amigo's get together a couple times a year too target practice with our rifles. One of those occasions takes place just prior to B/P hunting season. Being we all are 6 ft and then some. As told Wolf's are kind of short stocked or give a cramped feeling on the shoulder. Just after its purchase I know first hand one of my friends spent the better part of a afternoon trying to get his Wolf on paper at 100. Burned up a box of Pyrodex pellets._ 3-pills per shot under a suggested 370 gr. sabot something. That loading just bruised his shoulder terribly. I gave up watching left and went home as his bullets just prior to my leaving were all over the place in their point of impacts down range. Later I think he ended up sampling someone's Powerbelts and borrowed some more pellets for the effort. As told. His Wolf gained much better accuracy with the Powerbelt's and finally got on paper at 100 yds. I guess by the end of that afternoon my Pal mentioned to our mutual friend he was comfortable with his Wolf's targeting finally. Oh but what a physical price He paid for that rifle's accuracy. (such bruising)

I just bought a stainless CVA Wolf a few weeks ago, Wally World had them on sale for $166. I put a Redfield Revenge Sabot scope on it that Midway had on sale. So far I have not shot it. I have some older sabots with bullets that I will try to get it sighted in with. For hunting I have some Hornady 250 gr. SST's that I will try out. I plan to use 777 pellets with Winchester 777 primers. I also have Pyrodex RS loose powder to try if the above does not work out. I put a Limbsaver on mine to get the stock a little longer, and it will help when I go to the 150 gr. loads, which I will also try out. I like the looks of the gun, it is much better for deer hunting then my side hammer. Lighter, shorter, more forgiving if I can not clean it today then my Hawken. I have heard good reports(and a few bad) of their accuracy.

McGee, tell your friend that the CVA instruction book says not to shoot a lead conical over pellets and not to shoot saboted bullets of over 300 gr. Also, a 400 gr. conical is max over loose powder.

I have one of those slip on Limbsavers to make my stock a little longer, it will do a lot to help out on recoil too.

Alford:
McGee, tell your friend that the CVA instruction book says not to shoot a lead conical over pellets and not to shoot saboted bullets of over 300 gr. Also, a 400 gr. conical is max over loose powder.

Really!! (quote) My friend is one of those who knows better than the manufacture type of guys. I doubt he's bothered to read any instruction booklet his whole life. Gun counter guy is the one who suggested the heavy weight sabots to start with. Appears he never bothered to read up on a B/P rifle he sells either.
Alford: thanks for the additional info. I intend to email it when I'm done here as I doubt my friend knows differently even at this late date.

Sorry for the interference I/we may have caused North East Redneck.

My Wolf was made in 2013, the "Owner's Instruction and Safety Manual for Wolf" came with it. On the back it says "Form 103BA Rev. 2/13". On page 8 under "Saboted Bullets" the last sentence is: "Do not use saboted bullets weighing over 300 grains in your CVA rifle". The next paragraph is "Lead Conicals". The last two sentences are: "Do not use lead conical bullets weighing over 400 grains in your CVA rifle. Lead conical bullets are not recommended for use with peletized powder." The web site is at: CVA.com, maybe the manual can be read there, I have not checked.

Besides being hard on the shoulder those heavy loads are probably hard on the gun. Most of the guys writing the reviews I have read about the Wolf say that they use two pellets(100 grains of powder) and usually a saboted bullet of around 250 grains or so for deer and have plenty of killing power within 100 yds. where most deer are shot. I hope your friend trims his loads down below the manufacturers maximums, too much powder and bullet can be dangerous.

NE Redneck

I read on another site that a T/C ramrod will fit the CVA Wolf guides but will stick out a little beyond the end of the barrel. If you don't mind the extra rod sticking out that may be an option. I do not have a T/C rod to see, but I did try a CVA "Universal 32" Trophy Ramrod"(AC1531) and it was too fat to fit the Wolf guides. Have fun with the new gun.

track of the wolf sells delrin rods in a number of diameters maybe one close enough to cva maybe if I get a chance today ill dig out my old stag horn 209 magnum I got it new in 2001 from Wal-Mart put a crap ton of rounds through that rifle . ill measure the rod in that gun its 50. cal. love that rifle :D

Thanks for all the replys. Been very busy and besides running a few patches down the bore, I've done nothing with it. After summer dies down and I have more time I will take it to the range and try some loads in it.
Thanks again for all the info.

That's a very good bit of information. I bought my Wolf used and didn't get a manual. Sounds like I better try to find a downloadable version.

I'm going to buy some CVA Powerbelts, Hornady SST/sabots, and Hornady FPB as well as some 777 pellets. I was shooting Hornady SST/sabots w/ 100gr of T7 3F.

I do believe my SST/sabots were 295gr but that is very close to the 300gr mark. Also, I'm shooting 3F powder. Maybe one or both of those were the culprit.

Another combo I may try to throw at it is a saboted Hornady .451 XTP. Those have good reports of opening up well while staying fairly in tact.

Joe

Lawman, you may be able to find one of those one piece mounts that CVA uses on their new guns cheap. Some states do not allow scopes during the BP season so those folks sometimes have the mounts and don't need them. A guy sent me his from Colorado just for the postage.

If you need a scope, MidwayUSA still has the Redfield Revenge Sabot 3X9X42 for $88 with free shipping. They are owned by Leupold and you send the Redfield to the Leupold place in Oregon for warrenty work. The scope lists for over $200.

I have not tried to sight mine in yet, in fact I have not fired it. I would like to get some T/C Cheap Shots lead ammo because it is cheap compared to the belted bullets. I have read some good reviews on them. They sell for less then $10 for 20 saboted bullets, I think they weigh 240 gr. or so and have a hollow point. They are used for deer, etc. I am amazed at how expensive some of those bullets are.

Thanks, Alford.

How did you come about finding your scope mount? Did you post on The Firing Line, run an ad in the paper (like anyone does that anymore)?

Law Man

Actually, I was on another forum posting about the rifle and posted that I would eventually need a scope mount but would use the iron sights for awhile. A guy in CO who posts there often said that he had one he would give me for postage. I don't know if this forum allows another forum to be named, I will have to read up on that.

I just read the forum rules and don't see anything against mentioning the forum, it was huntingnet.com. I don's go by Alford there, I think the law says "AKA". I don't think it is wise to place our real names on the internet so I use something else. A good place to look is Gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com, both sites list gun parts for sale, I believe. Good luck, I think there must be more extra ones out there.

You are welcome, North East. I think the Redfield is a great scope for the price. It is bright and clear; I guess due to the "fully multicoated lens". I like the rangefinding system and the sighting points for the different ranges. It seems to have the advantages of a Leupold at the price of a Bushnell Banner. Lifetime warrenty by Leupold is a great selling point. I have yet to get to a range to see how all of this works and I look forward to it.

I have a Bushnell Banner on another gun, it has been a good scope too.

im ' back the dia. of my cva ram rod is 3/8" track of the wolf sells the delrin ram rods in 3/8 with the threaded brass ends in most any length you could want or cut to . I use 2 50/50 pyro. pellets and a .295 gr. copper hollow power belt with excellent accuracy out to 100 yds. but that's as far as I shoot as up around here you don't get to many occasions to shoot much farther . but if I go up to benson v.t. lots of hay fields up there I switch out to the .245 gr. power belts and 2 pellets . I have tried the cheap shot sabots before and they shoot pretty good but do not load as easy as the pb's so I stick to them . 10 yrs. ago local wally world was stopping the sale of fire arms and was blowing out all their supplies and I got all the pb's I could carry out of that store :D also noticed that cabelas sells a replacement ramrod for cva wolf style ml's HTH

Last edited:
Back