CVA stalker

Deer hunter88

Does anyone have any experience with the CVA stalker? I can buy a used one chambered in .270 for $225. Is the CVA stalker worth the $225?

I wouldn't buy it and here is why:

1. You've already stated that this rifle will be your primary deer rifle.

2. Budget seems to be an issue, as you're always looking for the least expensive option.

3. You live in Mississippi, the CVA single shot rifle meets primitive season hunting requirements but only if you buy a .35 caliber or larger and that isn't a .270 Win. I've quoted your states regulation below for everyone's benefit.

Primitive Weapons
Weapons legal for use during the Primitive Weapons season are all archery equipment and primitive firearms. "Primitive firearms," for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double-barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .38 caliber; OR single shot, breech loading, metallic cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions, or reproductions of those type rifles with an exposed hammer.

I have no experience with the CVA single shot rifles, but I own and shoot similar rifles. Break action single shots aren't known for benchrest groups, but they do provide acceptable hunting accuracy. If all you can afford right now is one rifle, then the CVA Is probably your best choice on a tight budget, and I'm betting you'll not have serious issues with it. Plus by the rifle that'll allow you to maximize your time afield hunting if that's what you want it for.

I know some people were concerned about the .35 Whelen rifle weight, but CVA lists it at 8 lbs not the 5.8 or less everyone thought it was. That'll put you right at 9 lbs maybe a little more depending on scope couple that with the KDF muzzle break, and I'm betting recoil will be very tolerable. Plus if the Whelen Whelan has you a little nervous get the .44 Mag CVA scout, it's still fits your primitive season regs and rifle season regs. If you want more power than a .44 Mag but less than the Whelen, try and get your hands on the CVA scout in .35 Remington. That rifle is hard to find and probably a bit more expensive, but it is a great cartridge for taking deer without a lot of recoil.

Last edited:
The break action CVA's are fantastic little rifles. I have one that I bought for the kids. I put glass on it that cost more than the rifle itself. I LOVE the one piece scope mount that comes with them. It is a very accurate little rifle (mine is in .243) I would buy another one in a heartbeat. The only problem I had with mine was after shooting cheap brass case Monarch Ammo from Academy Sports it was very hard to open the breech after firing a round. But it was an ammo issue. No issues with other brands of ammo. I agree with taylorce1, get one in 35 cal or larger so you can make the most of your season.

I wouldn't buy it and here is why:

1. You've already stated that this rifle will be your primary deer rifle.

2. Budget seems to be an issue, as you're always looking for the least expensive option.

3. You live in Mississippi, the CVA single shot rifle meets primitive season hunting requirements but only if you buy a .35 caliber or larger and that isn't a .270 Win. I've quoted your states regulation below for everyone's benefit.

I have no experience with the CVA single shot rifles, but I own and shoot similar rifles. Break action single shots aren't known for benchrest groups, but they do provide acceptable hunting accuracy. If all you can afford right now is one rifle, then the CVA Is probably your best choice on a tight budget, and I'm betting you'll not have serious issues with it. Plus by the rifle that'll allow you to maximize your time afield hunting if that's what you want it for.

I know some people were concerned about the .35 Whelen rifle weight, but CVA lists it at 8 lbs not the 5.8 or less everyone thought it was. That'll put you right at 9 lbs maybe a little more depending on scope couple that with the KDF muzzle break, and I'm betting recoil will be very tolerable. Plus if the Whelen Whelan has you a little nervous get the .44 Mag CVA scout, it's still fits your primitive season regs and rifle season regs. If you want more power than a .44 Mag but less than the Whelen, try and get your hands on the CVA scout in .35 Remington. That rifle is hard to find and probably a bit more expensive, but it is a great cartridge for taking deer without a lot of recoil.
I will be hunting private land this year instead of public land since we can only kill bucks on public land this year.

I don't get what hunting only private land has to do with anything? Do you only want to hunt does? Why not be able to hunt both public and private land?

Again if this is going to be your only hunting rifle for some time go with .35 caliber or larger options. I love the .270 cartridge and would rarely talk someone out of it. However, from reading your posts it isn't a good fit for you and where you will hunt.

I don't get what hunting only private land has to do with anything? Do you only want to hunt does? Why not be able to hunt both public and private land?

Again if this is going to be your only hunting rifle for some time go with .35 caliber or larger options. I love the .270 cartridge and would rarely talk someone out of it. However, from reading your posts it isn't a good fit for you and where you will hunt.
In Mississippi we can't kill antlerless deer on public land except during archery season which I think is stupid, so I have decided to join a hunting club because on private land both bucks and antlerless deer can be harvested.

I guess we're not on the same page. How does hunting private land affect your cartridge choice? I didn't look through all of Mississippi's regulations, are they different for private land? My point is simply get a .35 caliber or rifle or larger just to make sure you don't limit your hunting opportunities regardless if your hunting public or private land.

Back