CVA Squirrel Rifle "across the flats" ?

bamaranger

I read that CVA used two barrel sizes for the .32 Squirrel. My rifle mics .770 flat to flat. The stock would be channeled accordingly. It also has the brass butt plate if that helps date the rifle.

Were I to consider a new/used barrel (you see them occasionally), at what size barrel/flat should I be looking? There are barrels in the white that are advertised at 3/4", but that would be .750 " on the mic. Is that a disparity in measuring, or were the two sizes offered that close?

First I've heard about two barrel widths. My catalogs say 7/8" barrels for .32, .36 and .50 calibers for the CVA Squirrel Rifle. Well, my 1990 catalog was handy, didn't look at the others.

What is your barrel's length? It's supposed to be 25".

barrels

My rifle is certainly a .32. The barrel on sale is also a .32. Now that you have mentioned the .36, seems like the "other" measurement I saw was for for a rifle that was indeed a .36. The .36 also had a hardrubber, shotgun style butt, not the curved brass version like my .32.

The length of my .32 barrel is indeed 25". I sort of wish it was a bit longer, to help me with the sights if nothing else.

I've hunted and shot the .32 just enough to be intrigued with it. A few squirrels, and one evening when bamaboy was young, the great coon massacre. When the shooting stopped, I think we had 4.

The next .32 target is hoped to be a gobbler, shot with a .32 Maxi, if the CVA rifle will group them. I have no idea of the twist rate, but that can be determined. A few test shots seems to indicate the CVA will handle the Maxi. I'm a little leary of the tiny round ball on a gobbler.

I need to check on the auction for the .32 barrel.

intermediate

That's a good intermediate twist rate and would explain why Maxi's look promising on a couple of test shots.

My barrel seems OK, maybe a rough spot halfway down, but a new one would suit me better. I will know better how it shoots as I've got a BP range session planned over the holiday. I'd likely brown the new one, which is in the white, .....really like the look of browned.

seems like it

Yeah, as a matter of fact, it does seem near the wedge dovetail. Not so much "tight" as rough, I thought it might have been corrosion. Rifle still seems to shoot OK, if I get patches right with balls. As noted, we'll see see on conicals.

Session on 29 of this month, we'll see about Maxi's, I have two original factory boxes.

Still pondering about a new barrel.

Back