CVA Smoke Pole... Optima Pro-Magnum, problems...

I've been using 250grn powerbelts in .50cal and 100grns of pyrodex and 777(pellets), the gun is scoped with a nice nikon (9X max power), I'll have to check for exact model. Anyway, I have tried many solutions to accuracy problems (moist patch between shots, premium 209 primers, bags and rear bunny ear rest etc, etc) Anyway, I cant seem to get good groups AT 50YRDS:eek: I mean,
3+" 3 shot groups...WHAT IS GOING ON???
HELP:o
Thanks,
-Ve
BTW everything is tight and solid when I am shooting...

Have you tried different bullets? Have you tried using 150 Grn's of pellets?

I have a CVA Optima Pro and routinely get 1" groups (sometimes better when I do my part right) at 100yds. using 250gr. Hornady SST Speedsabots over 150 grns of 777 pellets with standard Winchester 209 primers. I've shot the powerbelts with OK accuracy at that range, but not as good as the SST's (also don't like the way powerbelts perform on game but that's another story).

IMHO, the newer guns and bullets really shine when shooting 150 grain loads. I know some people say it's overkill and they're probably right in some respects. I personally killed plenty of deer with a standard CVA Staghorn inline with 90 grns of powder and Remington Corelokt 303 grn sabots, but then I bought the Optima and started using the SST's. Once I started shooting the heavier loads I got better results.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work all it's cost you is a sore shoulder and a bit more powder per shot. :)

I have 2 CVA Optimas. one is a 26" regular one and one is the Pro with a 29" fluted barrel. i had the same problem. the 26" one will shot the power belts great but the Pro will not. so i switched to 100grns of pyrodex behind a 250 Grain Hornady SST Sabot. and i can shoot very good groups with those. I shot a buck last year at 130 paces and hit right at point of aim. if you cant find the Hornady ones they also make some for Thompson Center (hornady makes both the thompsons just have a different color tip) i have both they both shoot the same. you may try this, it may help.

Usually it's about the weight or type of sabot/bullet, but it could also be the shooter or the gun. Take enought shots and you'll find out that a particular bullet/load will only shoot so good. Then it's time to try something else.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231644&highlight=powerbelts

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228527&highlight=powerbelts

In this thread, some are getting better results with the 295 grain Powerbelts.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221512&highlight=powerbelts

Thanks, its actually not mine, its a friend's gun who has given up on it! So, I took it aside and nursed it back to health with much solvent, brushing, and tightening of screws. They have TONS of power belts, both 250grn and TONS on pyrodex 50grn and 77750grn pellets. I dont really want to spend money on new stuff if a good deal of muntions are already bought!
If I cant get it to group well with anything of his, I think I'll just give it back... I figured if I am going to shoot a smoke pole I might as well shoot a classic looking gun, otherwise I might as well shoot my modern guns and have 10X better accuracy!:eek:
-Ve

i shoot my inline because i cant hunt with a rifle in Ohio. i prefer to shoot my more traditional black powder guns but my inline is very accurate at a much longer range than anything else i am allowed to hunt with here. i would pick a centerfire for hunting too if i could.

Your not going to get it figured out unless your willing to spend a few bucks..... For starters I would buy a powder measure and start at 70gr of loose powder, Pryrodex RS or Triple 7. Stick with the 250 gr Powerbelts for now. Shoot a round, run a "damp" patch with a 50/50 mix of windshield washer fluid and rubbing alcohol, followed by a couple of dry patches. Keep shooting this for a while and see what your groups do. Next try upping the powder to 75gr, up to 80gr, up to 85gr and so on until your group gets better. But try the same powder gr a few shots until you up your charge. Different muzzle loaders shoot different, you have to work up a load your Optima likes. Your Optima might group well with 85gr, 90, or 110. You have to be willing to take some time and see. The Power Belts group good with my CVA Wolf with 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets and a 245gr Power Belt. And I'm still playing around with the loads. I've seen identical guns group different with the same load. It takes time. Just be sure not to load heavier than the recommed limits of the Optima. More powder is not always the answer. I'm grouping 2 inches at 100 yards and I'm going to try some Barnes MZ Expanders in 250gr and some Hornady bullets.

** I should add that you should maybe consider setting your target at 25 yards to start off with, GOOD LUCK!!**

Back