CVA single shot's, H&R single shots, Rossi Single shots.

Howdy All,

On days that I've got cash on hand I've been thinking about buying an inexpensive (cheap:D) and reasonably accurate truck/hunting/ranch rifle that I wouldn't mind getting beat up. I have much nicer hunting and tactical rifles of all sorts and calibers. I just find myself checking my vehicle all the time to make sure my nice guns haven't been stolen.

I've been browsing online at some of the single shot center-fire rifle's around now days. Particularly, the CVA single shots in .243 which has some tempting price offerings under $200. H&R single shots are slightly more expensive and getting harder to come by. The Rossi's look interesting as well, but I've heard that they no longer make the Wizard with all the interchangeable barrels, (which was a great concept by the way). Rossi is also a little more expensive. I'm afraid Thompson Center is more than I'm willing to pay for just a "take wherever I go" truck/ranch/hunting rifle. I live in the wide open mountain west, so I lean heavily to .243, 6mm's, 6.5mm and such.

Has anybody had experience with CVA, Rossi, H&R, and the reliability and quality, particularly the CVA? How accurate are they, particularly the CVA? Accuracy of CVA single shot with scope?

I can only tell you about the H&R Handi Rifle. I have one in 223 that is very decently accurate. When I first got it I took it to the range and zeroed it. Then I shot 30 rounds before I knew it because it was so much fun. At 100 yards I had a group just over an inch from 30 rounds. And I din't stop to cool the barrel. And that was blasting ammo I loaded for my Mini-14. It was crimped in the cannalure. No work up. Just prime, pour in powder and seat the bullet.

My gun has the plastic stocks. It would make an excellent truck gun for your purpose. Oh I forgot. I did have a 16" handi in 357 magnum. My buddy talked me out of it. He likes to shoot it at the 50 yard range and shot the thumb tacks that hold the targets to the wood backer. So it shoots pretty good its self.

The Rossi double threat/triple threat multi barrel guns aren't bad but for every rifle barrel you need a scope because their sights suck.

I have a 22lr/410 combo that's a real tack driver. And I would be tempted to step up to 243.

Cva had a bad rep when they produced nothing but the BP guns but that was because people didn't understand the twist rates. They wanted to shoot the sabots but they weren't designed to do so. The newer cva's have a great action with a great trigger. Accuracy is better than expected. H&R has ceased production on most all calibers. Every one ive shot has been plenty accurate. Fit and finish on all of the rossi,s I've seen is very poor. I havnt shot them so I don't know about the accuracy.

I've owed a H&R product, shot a 22-250 rifle and handled a Rossi combo.

I've only handled the CVA, but I would buy the CVA next time around without hesitation.

I have a CVA 44 magnum. It is more accurate than my Marlin 44 magnum. My bud has a CVA 223 than is one ragged hole accurate. I have had H&R they are accurate enough to kill deer at any reasonable range, but ergonomically they aren't as comfortable to me. I bought my grandson a single shot Rossi. It gets the job done, but isn't in the same league as the other two.

Back