CVA scout V2 pistol in 6.5 creedmoor

stagpanther

Just ordered one, was very curious how it shoots. I have a CVA paramount which is basically a Bergara product and it is fabulous IMO, so I figure this would be worth a try.

Anyone shot one? opinions?

Mine just came in today as well--with luck I'll give you something to drool over in the meantime. : )

attachment.php

Picked her up this morning, the timing was fortuitous because I became fed up with an old AR 10 6.5 creedmoor build I did using a crappy barrel and decided to take it apart and install a new criterion barrel--vastly superior to the old BHW barrel I had on. I installed an old brake on the muzzle of the scout V2 (it's threaded 5/8 x 24 and comes with a cap) and also put a Leupold 2.5x 8 VX 3 on. This is my very first single shot break open pistol, so should be an interesting experience. The finishing is excellent (which is what I would expect from bergara--but it really begs for nice wood fittings instead of the plastic IMO. The only other thing that is really throwing me for a loop is the break-down lever on the trigger guard begs to have a finger wrapped around it while holding the gun (at about 4 lbs all-up no easy feat). Very first triggerpull on mine broke at 2.5 lbs! BTW--the trigger hammer is very smartly designed to stay low so you can mount a scope low and back

Attachments

• IMG_3271.jpg
    IMG_3271.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 1,234
Last edited:
I'm looking forward to hearing about how well it shoots. I've been Jonesing for one in .300 Blackout since they first announced them. I don't need one at all but that's beside the point...

Tony

I shot a few hand-loads through it yesterday and my results were not especially good, though that's probably due mostly to me. I have medium/small hands, but so far have found the grip to be pretty small and hard to get a good 2 hand hold on--gonna take some time I guess. Firing a moderate 130 gr accubond load I'd say the felt recoil with this brake (which really isn't very good in terms of reducing felt recoil) is maybe just a bit harder than that of a stout 10mm but less than that of a 44mag through my Blackhawk, not bad at all.

yesterday I only put a few shots through the scout with the forend resting on a bag and was gripping the grip pretty tight--this obviously was throwing my shows as I was certainly pulling the shots randomly. Last night I decided to pull out the screw and replace it with the included swivel (be sure to remove the washer as well) and use a bipod--this made a huge difference as my very first shot at 127 yds went right through the center of the bullseye. After I relaxed my grip I shot a 4 shot group at 1.2 MOA--very content with this first group which was just using a test load that I had used in a rifle.

attachment.php

Relaxing my grip not only did the shots markedly tighten up--but felt recoil was drastically reduced as well. Although I can't prove it--yet--I'm certain this gun can easily shoot sub-MOA at meaningful hunting distances with the right tuned load and disciplined technique. At $350 an absolute bargain IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_3279.jpg
    IMG_3279.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,213
Last edited:
Back